Seed Trays

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Tiarella, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Do you use the ordinary type where you scatter the seeds all over, or the cell ones? Which are best, do you think?

I use supermarket containers as seed trays too, for smaller quantities. The mushroom trays are rather good, as long as one spikes some holes in the bottom.

Do you put them on capilliary matting, or water from above?

2. stez

stez Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i sow my seeds in half-seed trays (same as your mushroom trays i guess?) then i prick out into cells which fit inside a standard seed tray.

watering, i water from above, but also have capillary matting, as weekend watering usually doesn't happen. although this winter i put some over had sprinklers in! oooo, get me!

3. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use the large seed trays and prick out too. I tried using the cells straight away but only got about 75% germination success. This way at least I get a full tray

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Its a matter of taste really. I use the small trays, and even then split them into two with a plastic label as a marker. You can easily get 50 or more seedlings from one half, which is more than enough for me, and you can cover 4 lots with one plastic top. With the trays the moisture will even itself out a bit from one side to another. But with individual cells, each cell must have the right amount of water. However its a bit more work as you then have to prick them out.

5. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I use plastic cups,the kind you get in vending machines,with holes burnt in the bottom with a lighter,for alot of stuff.I think they`re ideal for leeks and colly`s etc.and i make sure i sow more than i need as i always get a few that don`t germinate. I stand them in plastic meat trays of water and cover with perspex (or plastic meat trays.)If they look dry i spray from above.They`re so cheap to buy,and a friend brings me lots from the factory he works at.I also use the cell trays for flowers,but stand them in a large tray of water, then transplant to plastic cups,then straight into the ground.I`m not really scientific,once they`ve soaked up the water and the soil seems evenly moist,then that`ll do for me. I don`t like pricking out much,it gives me a headache.