seedlings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by RONO, Apr 11, 2005.

1. RONO

RONO Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi new member could some one help
    i planted some tomato seeds in a propagater
    4 days ago they have come up to about 2inches but very tiny leaves have i over watered they look very spindley rono

2. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Goodness that was quick. Are they getting enough light? Lack of light can make plants spindly. Good luck

3. RONO

RONO Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    THANK YOU MRS CLOUDY I AM A NOVICE GARDENER REF
    THE TOMATOES I THINK I SHOULD START AGAIN AS WHEN IREAD THE PACKET IT SAID PLANT 5 CM DEEP I NOT NOTICING THIS SOWED ON THE TOP REGARDS RONO

4. Ambersparkle

Ambersparkle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Rono,
    I should bucket that lot, and as you say, sow again, deeper this time,should be okay then. good luck!

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No need to chuck them! Seeds tend to "work" themselves to a comfortable level - if they had been planted at an unviable depth - they wouldn't sprout! Replant with soil up to first set of leaves - the stems will throw out roots & make stronger plants. Take this is as your opportunity to "prick out" i.e. plant into individual 8cm pots. (as a rule this is usually done when there are 2 sets of leaves) When you come to plant tomatoes out into their final growing places, should always plant up to the first set of leaves - more roots = greater take up of nutrients = stronger plants. As Cloudy says - make sure they are in a really bright place (West or south facing windowsill is good) Plant out end May or sooner if you don't get late frosts.

6. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rono,

How are your tomatoes coming along? I planted some cherry tumbling toms last week, I wondered how long yours took to come up?

I also planted some chives, basil and busy lizzies to take up the rest of the cells, they look kinda furry, are they meant to or have they gone mouldy, does anyone know? (I feel so dense asking this...)

7. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry

Furry is bad. :eek:

8. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear. Some of the baby seedlings that were furry seem to have died, others are looking quite healthy now so I don't know what happened.

I've been talking encouragingly to my tomato seeds (the neighbours must think I'm mad) and now I have one wee seedling popped up!! :D I planted 12 each of red and yellow so I hope I'll have a few more soon... [​IMG]

9. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Furry sometimes happens in a propagator with the vents shut after a few days...too humid encouraging fungal growths