Seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by dobber, Apr 24, 2011.

1. dobber

dobber Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I've tried to propogate and grow for seeds for the first time this year with mixed success. One question though, I collected and sowed 'million bells' and 'Aster' seeds back in Febuary and to date have had no show. Why. I put them in these mini propergaters one inside the other to act like a propergater and grenhouse. Pansy, Violas, Anenamies have all done well but not the above.. What have I done wrong??

Sorry about the spelling, not a well bunny :-)
    Cheers

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi dobber.

Its always difficult with seeds to know exactly what is going on. I presume you collected seeds from your own plants. Most of the time this works well, but sometimes it doesn't for me. One problem that I have is if the seeds were collected too late after they had got wet, they could be mouldy and no longer viable. Another problem is in knowing exactly which part is the seed. Some plants have flowers and have a lot of chaff (little bits) but never produce seed.

And there is always the possibility that you over or under watered.

On balance, I find a certain percentage, 10% or more in any one year, of seed packets/types never germinate for me. Its just part of life. My solution is to grow more plants from seed than I can possibly use. :D