Self Set Seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lukenotts, Mar 8, 2011.

1. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was outside in our tiny front garden, giving it its first really good weeding for the year. I had my module cells ready as I knew there were some seed self set from last year. Ive rescued some violas and what im 99% sure are annual phlox (both which were growing there last summer)

My question is, should I put the seedlings in the greenhouse, or leave them outside, as they have obviously managed to survive many frosts. They all have the strongest root systems i've ever seen for plants at that stage, and Im assuming that growing as they have, can only make the plant stronger and more resistant?

There were also a carpet of limnanthes (poached egg plants) which I didnt like last year, and dislike them even more now I know how difficult they are to clear... they survived under the snow we had at the beginning of winter! :DOH:

Cheers :dbgrtmb:

2. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Luke,
    Lucky you for finding some free seedlings .
    I personally would pop them in the greenhouse ,it doesn't need to be heated ,or a coldframe

Dave

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I think I'd leave them where they are, unless they're in a spot where you don't want them to be. If they've survived all the past frost and weather and are growing happily where they are why move them? If you want to transplant them to another area in the garden, especially the annual phlox, that should be fine. I can't see the point of up-rooting them to put them in the Greenhouse when, within weeks, you'd be putting them back in the soil, risking checking them.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    My instinct would be to pot them up - simply because I could then replant them later where I wanted them to be. But if you are happy with the position then leave them

5. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that guys... even though the advice is a little conflicting :WINK1:

I have already pulled them up as the front was looking unsightly, besides, I already have a bedding scheme for this summer already, which doesnt include violas or phlox.

I shall leave them in the greenhousefor the time being to come on until May, then i'll find a spot in the back garden, or give them away :thumbsup:

Cheers.