Senecio Curio Articulatus winter care

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Selleri, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Hi @Michael Hewett and other knowledgeable gurus,

now that my Curio has burst into leaf I'm a bit unsure how to care for it over the winter. Should I keep on watering and perhaps even use fertiliser?

My other Senecios are mostly summer growers and I tend to leave them dry until spring, but this one obviously has some winter plans. Will it just make leaves or will it also want to grow? The plant has been growing and spreading steadily across the year so far.

The plant is in a bright, cool spot and I have small grow lights there too to give a bit of a boost over the dark months.

curio.jpg

A heartfelt thank you to @Michael Hewett for donating the plant, it's wonderful and funny and seems to be doing well. Thank you! :)

2. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,647
    When it's leafing, give it water when the soil is dry.
    Candle Plant's flowers are not the most exciting but it's a plant that always draws comments from visitors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +19,307
      I'm pleased to see it doing so well !
      I keep them in a cool greenhouse during the winter and they loose their leaves. I don't water them until the spring.

• Like Like x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +8,039
        Thanks both :)

My plant lost its leaves in spring but has continued to grow and spread by little sausage-lets appearing from the soil.

I'll try to see if cuttings take now, Curio could make a fun underplanting in the big pot of my Euphorbia pillar.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
          +219
          I've just seen this thread, and my curiousity was piqued by the name of the plant, i.e.
          Senecio Curio Articulatus.
          It seems the taxonomists have been having a field day, with this one. Some years ago, when I grew C&S, I knew this as Kleinia articulata, which at some point became Senecio articulatus and has now morphed into Curio articulatus.

• Agree Agree x 1