Setting up a new wormery

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Rob Miller, May 13, 2015.

1. Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've just ordered a wormery and it should be arriving today. It will come with basic instructions on how to set it up but I was wondering if any experienced wormers(?) had any top tips or advice on how to get it started.

Thanks. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Can't comment if it's an indoor one. But if outdoors all you need to do is keep feeding with veg and organic material. It's also very important to add paper and card as this type of material helps keep the compost from becoming too acidic and also prevents it getting too wet and soggy.
    If you keep your initial colony well fed you'll have zillions in a couple of months and they'll produce really nutritious compost.
    We add all our kitchen waste apart from meat to our worm bins - bread, cake, pasta, egg shells, fruit - you name it ! All our loo roll and kitchen roll card plus other card and paper goes in. The odd layer of lawn mowing goes in as does a layer of shredded leaves that I've bagged in Autumn.
    Corrugated card is good as worms are supposed to like the glue :-) And marmite is alleged to be worm aphrodisiac !
    Citrus skins are OK but not in large amounts.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
      Ratings:
      +25
      Awesome. Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you need to shred the kitchen and toilet roll tubes like the paper or do they just go in whole? I'm really excited to have them. Almost feels like I have another pet haha.

I keep going out to look at them every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      We just chuck ours in whole. If we add a sheet or two of paper we just screw it up, but sheets of card we rip up. We also add the contents of our paper shredder.

• Like Like x 1