Shade loving plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by girliecook, Mar 22, 2010.

1. girliecook

girliecook Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! Ive got an area outside my bck door which is always in the shade and is a damp area too.(as its btween both mine and my neighbours extensions).
    Ive got ivy and a hosta there at the moment. They have to be grown in containers.
    Any idea?
    :help:

2. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Do you mean that they will have to be grown in containers or in the ground? Are you looking for something permanent like a shrub or a perennial or bedding plants? i am a little confused.

3. girliecook

girliecook Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry wasnt very clear there was I? Yes they have to be grown in containers and I would like perennials, shrubs etc.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I have exactly the same sort of area, right outside the kitchen door that only gets sunshine from 4pm onwards...at the height of summer so I can sympathise.

I have several different varieties of Hosta, all in colourful pots that makes a superb display when they're in full foliage. I find they do better in pots, keeping them away from the slugs. This Spring, they'll all be divided so I'll have even more!

I have a Contorted Hazel in a large pot - interesting foliage in Summer and superb, twisted branches in Winter. I also have Sarracocca (Christmas Box), in a pot. This is ideal - prefers shade, glossy, green leaves all year round, heavenly scented flowers at this time of year and slow growing. Perhaps several of these in pots might work for you? Also ferns will be happy in pots for quite some time - buy them small and they'll soon fill out.

Avoid anything climbing - eventually you'll have to repot them which can be a nightmare if they've scrambled up a fence.

Your flowering options is a bit limited, but foliage - variegated and glossy with different shapes can make up for this.

How's that for starters?

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Well yes Hostas are always great as are some of the different kinds of ferns you can get.. Some are small & compact but others grow quite big & blousey as the year progresses...!!!
    Is it cool & damp like a bog garden would be as you could look at putting certain bog garden plants in tubs & as long as they are always damp they will probably thrive.... I can just imagine a Gunnera in the biggest container you can get in there taking off & being a huge talking point just so long as it is always kept damp... :wink:

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I have the same area in my new yard no sun so i have climbers honeysuckle, jazmine and helleborus are shade loving plants with lovely flowers. good luck

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Another large 'architectural' plant would be Angelica, although it's usually a biennial or short lived perennial. In a big enough pot it would thrive - big, big leaves, thick stems and creamy white flowers.

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: You are thinking like me, big & bold Aaron..!!

You could also try one of my favourites Zantedeschia aethiopica Lilies or maybe Calla liies dependind on how much light there is, otherwise there are different bog type grasses & of course Bamboo..

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I'm on a roll Marley!

Another foliage plant that is fine in shade (or anywhere) is Fatsia Japonica. I had one in a pot for two years until this year when it got planted out as it got too big for the pot, but I've heard with pruning it can remain potted for longer. Big, glossy palm-like leaves all year round, tough as old boots and sprays of white flowers in winter - ideal when the Hostas have all died away.

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: OK Aaron.. What about these for a flowering ones then.... Sisyrinchium striatum- Aunt May is always a good one & of course Hardy geraniums will usually do well almost anywhere & always a good choice of them.. There is fantastic choice here & some do well in shady damp places I have a few myself in my damp shady patch.. http://www.thehardygeraniumnursery.co.uk/ :wink:

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Ah, so that's their name. I've seen them around a lot.

12. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would suggest, Azaleas, Camellias, Hydrangeas and Rhododendrons.:gnthb: