Shade loving shrubs and perennials?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AmandaClareEmily, May 21, 2006.

1. AmandaClareEmily

AmandaClareEmily Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Can anyone suggest any shade loving shrubs or perennials? The north west facing wall in my garden only really gets light after about 4 in the Summer. I'd like something with interesting coloured leaves, eg variegated, bronze, pale green, bluey green, red etc.

Thank you
    Amanda

2. AmandaClareEmily

Ratings:
    +0
    PS. Forgot to mention there is already a variegated hosta, a shuttlecock fern, a pineapple plant, a curry plant (which is not very happy there,) a viburnum, a bleeding heart plant, clematis, jasmine and an osteospurnum along that wall.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Try this http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqshade.htm

I think you will find a lot of plants will grow happily there, even if ideally they would prefer more sun. I have an area, which only gets literally about 5 minutes of sun a day, between the shadow of the house and the garage, and I have Dicentra (bleeding heart), Aquilegia, Astilbe, Hemerocallis (daylily), Primula Vialii, Lythrum, Aconitum, Persicaria, Crocosmia (Montbretia) and perennial Lobelia all growing quite happily.

On reflection I think these are all native UK plants that are used to a lack of sun. Also any big leaf plants will do well. Big leaves have developed to catch as much light as they can under low light conditions. The ones that will suffer are plants from Mediterranean and other hot dry places - such as the Osteospermum. Plants from these places often have smaller silvery leaves, like the curry plant. The silvery effect is caused by masses of tiny hairs to reduce water loss - but that of couse is synonymous with sunny places.

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    agree with Peter Osteospurnam and curry plant will hate that aspect. Rest sound OK could add cornus, sambuca, some of my geraniums dont' mind shade. a few bulbs for interes

Good luck

5. AmandaClareEmily

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestions. I don't think it can be an Osteospermum then as it is thriving (unlike the curry plant.) I must work out how to add photos.

Amanda

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Have to say I love the challange od shade, and am such a frequent visitor to my local nursery that they now give me wierd and wonderful stuff to try - but I would start with easy and reliable - much more encouraging.

7. AmandaClareEmily

Ratings:
    +0
  8. AmandaClareEmily

Ratings:
    +0
    It might be a Euonymus?

Amanda

9. AmandaClareEmily

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Someone told me how to add pics so here it is.

[​IMG]

Amanda

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    yup, that's a euonymus fortuneii

11. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh now I am a wizz with euonymus, and to see it there against a fence - well I just can't contain myself.

Make the think climb and cover the fence for you. Take out all branches that come into your border, and train the ones that go upwards and outwards and you will have your fence covered and evergreen all year long. Better still cadge a few cuttings of gold variety and intertwine them and you will have a wonderfull tapestry of colour.

12. AmandaClareEmily

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies. Hmmm... I actually plan to grow a cherry tree where the euonymus is currently. There are other places that would benefit from climbers though. Would it move well?

How far could it climb? Could it grow over a shed and would it need a trellis? I may be able to plant it in bare earth at the side of the shed.

Amanda

13. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes Amanda it will move, you will probably find some layered plants too when you dig it up. It you are going to use it as a climber prune it to shape before moving so it does not have to work so hard, give it loads of water and move with loads of earth. Better done in autumn, but they are tough things, so I think you would get away with it.

Mine are currently about 8 foot high and still going - I would take a picture for you but it is persisting it down! Remind me later and I will send one.

It would grow over a shed, you do not need a trellis, but the odd nail and support would help. Prepare your bed well, did down deep try to get some good rotted sh1t in if you can - THEN you can make it more interesting by panting a clematis to scramble through it.

14. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG] ooh, so glad you posted that pic AmandaClaireEmily.this was brought home from one of my husbands jobs.ive had it for a couple of years and never had a clue what it was.its a bit battered but ive noticed its grown about a foot just these last few weeks.

15. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    This first picture is of recently hacked back euonimus - self supporting with a bit of help.

[​IMG]

This is the other side of the entrance to my sunbathing area, I think you can just about see clematis growing through it.

[​IMG]

Last pic is of a gold version I moved last spring which is being trained to cover my drain pipe - the Wisteria is getting the better of it though!

[​IMG]