1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shading and capillary matting

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Fat Controller, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,513
    A lot of my plants struggled to get started last year, partly (I think) due to too much direct sunlight and insufficient moisture. So, I am now thinking I should be applying some shading to the greenhouse, and putting some capillary matting under my trays to hold that bit more water?

Shading first - what type of shading is best, the cloth type or the paint? Also how best to apply it? Should it be on the roof only, or should it be down the side glazing too? And is there a time when it is too early to use it?

Capillary matting next - in short, does it work? Will it hold enough to keep a multi-cell tray moist enough for around 8 or 9 hours?

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Think it depends on what plants you have.

If you have got lots of seedlings close to the glass in these recent hot sunny days then they will need some, I often put up a sheet of newspaper for a temporary shade.
    For more established plant perhaps a while before shading needed, but really only you can judge that .

Roof or side, it again depends on your greenhouses position and that of your plants / benches.
    In mine I find the south facing side wall needs shading down to the top of the bench as well as the roof.

If using external cloth, try and lay it so there is a minimum gap of 25mm between the glass and the cloth so the heat can escape.

Last year I used Vitax greenhouse shading paint and it readily took to my polycarbonate glazing, but instead of covering it totally I tried a keen fuchsia growers tip and did 75mm vertical stripes , 75mm apart, which do give a very good dappled effect that my plants seemed to like.
    The Vitax shading was also easy to remove, though it did stand up to plenty of rain, never had to reapply it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,513
      There is going to be tons of seedlings in there very shortly (I have a load on shelves at the back of the living room at the moment, which are dying to get out into the greenhouse, and more will be sown through this week); the main side of the greenhouse faces west, so gets the hottest sun from late morning onwards.

Thanks for the info regarding the Vitax - there are quite a few of the paint on types available, so it is good to hear of one that has done well. Would it be best painted on the inside?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,725
      I think Ricky said it all regarding shading.;)

Capillary matting is what is says, it carries water by capillary attraction, so you set it up on polythene with a water source, like a tray or similar full of water.
      It then sucks up the water and waters your plants from the bottom.

The only things I dont like about it is, your plants are just as wet in cool cloudy conditions as they are in hot sunny ones, plus the roots do tend to grow out of the bottoms of the pots into the matting if you dont move them regularly.

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        For your main season shading, always on the outside where possible as it keep the inside temperature down, internal shading does not, as the heat has go through the glazing.

For you seedlings it really sounds like you need to do some easy to fix and remone shading as you will need to protect them on really hot sunny days but give them maximum light on overcast days.

Just a pity someone has not made some lo cost or diy auto shading that can be adjusted to suit the various growth stages .

Cannot help with the cap matting, not something I really use.
        You could also try Hydroleca clay pellets, in a water soak tray of them and sit your multicells on to of it.

• Like Like x 1