Shady lawn...wildflower lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by smoo, Mar 16, 2011.

1. smoo

smoo Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone :) My lawn is quite shady due to large conifers that are annoyingly on the other side of the fence :( but i thought it would be nice to have a lawn with naturalised wildlife friendly flowers :)

Not necessarily full sun needing meadow flowers, obviously they wouldn't survive, I was thinking more very early spring bulbs (crocus, snowdrops etc) and then for the summer id love a lawn with clover and dandelions for the wildlife, and my little pig pigs ;)

I'm hoping as it gets warmer then the sun will be able to get over the conifers so it wont be too shady but at this time of year i haven't had any sun on my lawn. Its too late for the spring bulbs but what about for the summer? I know some people end up ripping dandelions out of their lawns but my girls (pigs) love them and if they are good for the insects then that's a bonus!

What does everyone think? Too dark? The grass hasn't fared to well this winter with either the shade or just the weather conditions, i'm not sure?

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Look for woodland and woodland edge species.

Campions spring to mind for one, and they are happy to share their space with grass, although being much taller than grass, it would be game over for them if you get the lawnmower out.

There's a little blue flower that grows in the shady parts of my land, they never get more than a few hours of dappled shade, but they're all over the place. The trouble is, I have no idea what they're called. Next time I go up I'll take my wildflower ID book and try to get an ID on them.

I'm sure there are plenty of choices, just that I only know of the few that I've seen growing in the conditions you describe.[hr]
    What about something like this:

http://www.wildflowersuk.com/mixcontents.asp?headingID=3000