Sharpening a hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by JWK, Jul 21, 2008.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,690
    Noticed my neighbour was cutting his conifer hedge with hand shears yesterday, it was taking him hours to do just a little bit. So being nosey I went out and asked him why he wasn't using his electric trimmer, he has one that he uses on his beech hedge OK but it's too blunt to work on the 'greener' conifers, it just keeps jamming up.

He knew it needs sharpening but can't find anywhere that will do it. Apparently no-one will take the job on because his old model was never fitted with a finger guard. So I suggest its time to buy a nice new one, but he likes his old one, its light-weight (and he's got a touch of arthritis so can't manage anything heavy for long periods). I know they are very cheap, but why should he replace it when all it needs is a sharpen?

Anyone any ideas who would sharpen a trimmer, or point me to instructions to DIY it (I would do it for him if its straight-forward)?

Cheers

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Not really the right answer, but can he still buy a replacement blade?

Then could try to source somewhere that would sharpen the "spare" blade.

Probably a daft idea, but thought I would mention it as it flitted through my mind.

3. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,690
    kristen: its an idea about replacement blades, tonight I'll find out the make and model then maybe google (or ebay) might help.

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    A good machinery dealer should be able to do it, Price wise is around £30-£40, quite a labour intensive job and needs a diamond wheeled grinder to do it as the blades are made from very hard tool steel.

Youll probably strugle to get new blades being an electric machine, it will have been long superseeded.

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,690
    Thanks Paul, I just talked to my neighbour, his cutter is about 25 years old so I think you're right about it being nigh on impossible getting parts. I think he would much rather have it done properly by a dealer even if its £40, he's got another dealer to go and try (a bit more of an old fashioned place that would not bother about the lack of guards).

Personally I would buy a new one for that price , but he's the sort of person who would much rather re-use stuff than throw it away.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "his cutter is about 25 years old"

:eek:

Good on him for maintaining it for so long, but I reckon its a consumer-society-casualty now :(

7. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    ALDI are selling an electric hedgecutter for £28 this Thursday, I am going to get one.

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    You can buy a "pencil" tool which sharpens these sort of things, if he is attached to it he wont mind spending hours doing it.

Some people like zapping dandelions-I spend ages sharpening my blades.

Can`t find a decent knife though for taking basal cuttings.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Can`t find a decent knife though for taking basal cuttings"

I can never do that thing with a knife where you cut through something against your thumb, using your thumb as a "stop" for the knife. perhaps I'm just a wimp :(

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,690
    lolli: Is it something like this?
    http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/HomeGarden/Bathroom/SwissKnifeSharpener.htm

Anyone got one or sumat similar?

:confused::) ooooh that just prompted a faint memory, my son told me someone he knows sharpens knives as a hobby! I didn't believe him at the time, maybe now is the time to check the claim out - Thanks for the prompt :thumb:

12. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,690
    My neighbour won't part with his because its very lightweight. Let us know what the Aldi one is like, particulary how heavy it is. Ta :thumb:

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    " Anyone got one or sumat similar?"

Costs nearly as much as a blinking new hedge trimmer :eek:

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    i use a swiss shrpener for knives but a hedge trimmer will need grinding. The swiss shrpener wont remove enough metal.

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Th eone I have is not like that, it really looks just like a pencil, have just shecked and it doesnt have a name or anything on it. It looks like a blue retractable pen with a clip on one side. It has a flat grinding edge, and a round grinding edge. Its obviously manual, but I find the practice of knife sharpening one of the most relaxing things ever.

I got it from a garden centre_i think