shed base

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cymro, Feb 16, 2009.

1. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    what is the best/cheapest base for a shed,dont want to be concreting it really, make framework out of 3x2 and fill with slate waste, anyone got other suggestions????
    thanks
    cymro

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    level the soil then sit it on a couple of rail sleapers total cost £20-£30

3. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    good idea paul.
    i was thinking of using the slate waste or anyone got anymore suggestions to stop the weeds coming up underneath

4. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    anymore input everyone

6. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,865
    How many suggestions would you like? there's a load of ways of doing it. Stop the weeds with sodium chlorate (kills everything and ruins the earth though so make sure you're sure!)

Recycled paving slabs is another cheap way of forming a base

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,983
    You also need to think about damp getting up through the floor, so I'd use some thick polyethene sheet to stop both damp and weeds.

8. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Here's the thing the base is the most important part as it is the foundation for the build regardless of how big, small or heavy your shed is going to be. Yes spend as little money as possible but spend a shed load of time in it's construction. Sleepers would be good as they already have a heavy treatment against rot, give good ground clearance for ventilation at the same time it will allow you some access in case you get unwanted visitors.

9. Hedgetrimmer

Hedgetrimmer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Level out the area and firmly compact the soil. Lay a layer of black polythene, then a mix of dry sand and cement. On top of this lay and level firmly enough cement flagstones to cover the required base area.

10. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    wooden frame work is now in, do i need to fill in or can i get away without putting slate waste in between joists, there will be a gap of about 5"from soil level to botom of shed base.
    is it a good idea to let the air circulate underneath the shed

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    stick the slate waste in, it wont do any harm.

12. Brind

Brind Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    There is no great need to put anything between the joists. There'll be plenty of air around and under the shed regardless of filling with slate.
    However, closing off any gaps under the shed will make it harder for vermin to get in and chew on your footings. :D

Although you've already done the frame. For future reference, you can simply use 4x2 tanerlised timber and make a frame. Sleepers are good and saves on wood, however they're pretty pricey.
    Or pave the area under where the shed would be but the effort involved and the fact you won't see it after makes it kinda pointless.

Concrete is always the best. And a metre bag of ballast and a few bags of cement will do quite a nice size too. Typical prices for a bag at B&Q is £40 Obviously you could buy a load of the smaller bags and do a smaller area if you so wish.

13. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your replies,
    ive decided not to put the slate waste underneath, im just going to put thick polythene sheets underneath to stop weeds, and let the air circulate

14. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,983
    cymo what sort or polythene are you using? just that the cheap stuff isn't UV stabilised so after a couple of years the sun will make it go brittle and it will break up - the blue stuff that builders use would be OK (but more expensive) Or if you bury it a few inches deep the sunlight can't get to it and it will be OK.

15. Micky V

Micky V Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I put up an 8x6 when i moved in last april level your ground where you are going to erect it, make sure the ground is firm preferably grass. Lay down a 2x2 slab in each corner find center of long side put a 2x2 either side making 6 in all. Get 3 2x2inch or 2x3inch bearers treat them with Cuprinol lay accross and build your shed on this ,i have always erected my sheds like this and never had a problem with rotting.
    GOOD LUCK MICKY V