1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shed colour

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by biker, Jun 5, 2008.

1. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ummmm, have just bought a new shed and will assemble it on the weekend as part of my complete garden renovation.
    It has a neutral base coat of preservative but I'm going to give it another good one for good measure. Trouble is I'm not sure about colour. New shed is much bigger about 8x6 than old tiny shed. I'm wondering about 'playing is safe' and going for a honey pine/light brown colour or a bit more adventurous darkish vy green! My style of garden is lots of greenery with intermittent flourishes of blooms (I hope!) rather than lots and lots of colourful blooms year round.

Anyone have some shed pics so I can see how the colours fit in?

My shed will go just to the right on this photo ...

[​IMG]
    cheers

2. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My shed is quite a dark green which I really like as it tones in well with the garden. If I wanted it to be a feature, I would paint it duck-egg blue with cream trim. I plant silver leaved plants and white flowers nearby - the sagey shed shade compliments this scheme well.

Not a great pic, and it does need re-painting, but gives you an idea of the colour:

[​IMG]

The redish-brown wall behind is my neighbour's 'shed' which is actually a garage tree workshop. I really dislike the colour, but am used to it now. it is sort of similar to the red sandstone of the local buildings.

A fritillary with the green shed backdrop:
    [​IMG]

3. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes JarBax that's the kind of colour I was think of with mine. Can you remember what green it is? There are so many it seems. I have a nice Arundinaria Bimbo quite close to it which I think will look good with the green shed.

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Give me a moment whilst I dash out to the shed (where I keep the paint)...

5. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    ...it's a Cuprinol one called 'Forest Green'. Could've sworn it was called 'sage' or something! (shows how long it's been since I painted it! :)

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    My input is 'Blue' & I can hear the shouts of 'yuk' from here. My fence (only one end of the garden) is blue, a few wheelbarrow planters are blue & I've just painted some logroll blue!

I do like green too.

Let us know what you decide.
    cheers

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Use the green cuprinol do.

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't like to play safe at all in the garden I tend to go for crazy colours because lets face it the garden is your own personal space and should be an extension of your personality, if you like wacky colours go for it after all you're the one that has to put up with it! :D.Hel.xxx.

9. ballinran

ballinran Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We've a couple of wooden buildings in our garden.

Neither is a shed in the traditional sense of the word - one is a summerhouse and another is used as an office, so we didn't want the "traditional" shades of brown, but we didn't want really "out there" shades either.

The summerhouse is Cuprinol Sea Grass

[​IMG]

and the office is Cuprinol Country Cream

[​IMG]

10. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is painted in a sagey green from Cuprinol (from the Heritage Colours range, not quite sure what the name was), with a white trim.

[​IMG]
    (excuse the mess, that area was still a work in progress a few weeks ago!)

I wanted it to look a bit like a beach hut at Southwold lol! I like the country cream one in the previous picture though. My fence is painted with Cuprinol's Forest Green (it's been given a second coat since that picture was taken and it looks much darker than on the photo). I think if you're going to spend good money on a shed, you might as well try to make it an attractive feature, rather than make it blend into the background. But that's probably just me!

11. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I like the mid oak colour you can get from homebase, i haven't painted the shed yet but have done the fence panels so will post a pic of one of those, it's a very clean colour and sets of colour very well :D

12. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, got the shed up today without the roof so far!
    I think I've decided on Woodland Green which is a semi-transparent stain/preservative to give it a natural look (I hope!).
    Have done the back and side both of which can't be seen from the garden as a test.
    Not sure the colour comes out well but here is a contrast. Roof going on tomorow as it's supposed to be a nice sunny day in London.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Good choice biker, I think that will 'bed it in' to your newly improved garden beautifully! Good luck with getting the roof on!

14. mojo

mojo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have painted my shed a rather strange blue , but it does match the rabbits hutch,when i can work out how to put a picture on i will do so, Mojo,

15. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Mine's similar to bllinran's. It was 'willow' from the cuprinol shades range. All the fences are painted the same colour too so it's to blend it in really. It would be great to have a nice shed and paint it as a feature with white trim [sigh]