Shed Concrete Base

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nickp, Jun 2, 2009.

1. nickp

nickp Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

I've purchased a 3m x 4m insulated log cabin, which I'm going to use as a garden office. It's about 1 tonne in weight.

I need to put down a concrete shed base and I'm going to get the experts in to do it. I don't want to be conned and I want to ensure whoever does the job does it right.

We're on clay soil, so I am expecting a substantial hardcore base 10cm and ontop 10 cm of concrete

Does that sound about right?

Thanks, Nick

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,983
    Nick, surely the shed suppliers will provide you with a proper spec for the shed base? On clay soil you may well need much deeper foundations than 20cm. You need to consider laying a DPC on it. Does the base constitute the floor as well? If so you will need to get some insulation into the base and what about services? You might need to allow for electric/water/drainage conduits prior to laying the base. Sorry, more questions than answers!

3. nickp

nickp Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    They haven't provided any guidance, I guess it depends on the ground type.

The office comes with an insulated floor, so it doesn't sit on the concrete base and comes with it's own insulation.

The only services I need is power, which I will add in after the office is in place.

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,983
    In that case and because you are on clay I'd say you should double the depth at the edges of your base (thats where all the weight of the shed will bear). Also use a reinforcing mesh when pouring the concrete.

5. nickp

nickp Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi John - the shed will sit on bearers, so hopefully the weight should be fairly evenly distributed throughout the base

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,983
    OK, maybe your orginal depth is OK then. I'd still have the reinforcing mesh in there to stop the slab cracking though.

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I would lay 2" of type one hardcore compacted then 4" of concrete with reinforcing mesh.

8. nickp

nickp Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    The cheapest I've been quoted £300 materials and £520 labour ... which sounds a lot to me for a slab of concrete :(

I'm wondering if it's really all that hard? The most difficult bit is probably getting the wooden shuttering level on the ground.

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,983
    That does seem expensive, are there any access problems? I'm guessing your builder quoted for Ready Mix to save time and probably allowed for a skip to take away the spoil. If you did it yourself you could probably half the material cost - its such a small quantity you could easily knock that amount of concrete up in half a day (if you're fit!).

Digging out and levellling is not so difficult either. If you DIY it I'd recommend getting a water level from Screwfix for about £15 - they are simple to use and much more accurate than spirit levels or hiring a laser level.

The only thing you might have to hire is a whacker - to make sure your hardcore is properly compacted. You could do that by hand as well, but that would be very hard work.

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    1 rekon two Days so £300 plus a hired high tip skip loader at £70 plus a skip at £90 then materials, £200 ish

Total around £700 give or take.

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I would have give you a lift doing it if I lived near you, if your fit enough it's not a big job.

12. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A ton over that floor space is not very mush.You could probably halve the depth of concrete. Ive seen a fish tank thats 6 foot long that when full weighs just under a ton and thats sat on just three slabs on a level bit of clay soil.If you have a good base for the concrete to sit on you dont need the extra thickness unless you were to use the base for a garage or driving a car on.