Should i be removing dead parts of clematis?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by yelf, Aug 22, 2011.

1. yelf

yelf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I forget which clematis i have but the first flowers died, then after while it started shooting up again, and now even more of the initial growth seems to be dieing. Should i be cutting this off? (i only planted earlier in the spring)

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    You can cut it off yelf. But I've got a feeling what you are describing is Clematis wilt. If it is, the plant is better discarded as it won't recover. Sorry!

3. yelf

yelf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    its growing like the clappers at the moment though - just that the leaves at the bottom are dieing

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    I'd leave it then and see how it goes. I didn't realise it was just a few leaves. Don't let it stay dry for to long either. :)

5. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    Ooo err
    I have the same thing the bottom is black and crisp falling to dust yet from 3' upwards it is heathy and vigourous, dozens of Purple blooms and even more buds foming lower down
    Never thought of Wilt, well I would not having only been a gardener for six months now, I thought it was some overspray from the guy at the other side of the fence killed the leaves off

Jack McHammocklashing

6. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    It may not be wilt Jack. As Clematis put on growth, they tend to die off a bit at the bottom, like a lot of climbers. But just give eye to it. Wilt will eventually claim the whole plant.