Should I dig in some compost - or not?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by clueless1, Mar 8, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I've decided that my new garden plan will be in sections. One area will be lawn, I've already sowed the seeds. I've got plans for other sections that will need compost or manure dug in, but I'm not ready to do those bits just yet.

Another small section hasn't been assigned a job just yet, but I'm thinking of sowing a wildflower meadow mix in it. The soil is very poor, starved clay that prior to me digging it over, hadn't been looked after in years from what I can tell.

I've read that wildflower meadow mixes prefer poor soil, so that the flowers have a fair chance of competing with the grass, but if I choose not to do the wildflower meadow mix plan, then something else will prefer the soil to be improved a bit.

Do we reckon I should dig some compost into anyway? Or should I wait til I've decided what to do with that patch?

2. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,647
    Never put compost into a wildflower meadow; so, I'm afraid, you'll have to wait.

This is a piccie of a real wildflower meadow. Something to aim at? Daisies and Poppies.

[​IMG]

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    What a beautiful picture Kindredspirit. :thumb:

The only sad thing is that it makes me think of the first world war

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    You sound uncertain as to what you're going to do, Clueless, which is unlike you!! Are you having a deliberate muse about it? If you decided to make it into a wild flower section then leave the soil as it is. If you decide to plant something else dig in the compost!!

5. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I am undecided. Its a bit of a headache to be honest. I think my back garden is pretty difficult to plan, because although a decent size for an urban garden, its not massive, and having a 2 year old to think about I need to make best use of the space to make it open enough for him to run about, while still be interesting for him, and all while being a nice place for the wife and I too.

I am keen on nature, and I want my son to learn to appreciate nature too, so apart from looking good, I want it to be full of activity with birds, butterflies, grasshoppers, bumblebees and all manner of bugs kicking about.

The patch I'm undecided about is only small, but it takes up a significant chunk of my non-veg section, so to provide my little lad with plenty of space it needs to be ok for him to explore or play on. The wildflower meadow plan seems to tick all the boxes, but it goes against all my instincts to not attempt to improve poor soil:)

6. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I understand now, Clueless. I wasn't sure if you were just throwing the question into the ring just to see what the reaction would be as a matter of creating interest! Personally, I'd go for the wild flower idea as once established during the summer the two year old, and you, could have a great time picking them!! If it attracts bees, butterflies and the rest it'll be a bonus. Two year olds have a habit of turning into 16 year olds before you can blink an eye, so I'd enjoy every moment you can with him!!!

7. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Best advice I can offer?

Sell the child, clear the land and build a polytunnel!:D:D:D Joking ......honest!

You say your instinct is to improve the soil? I understand that, but surely if you want a wildflower/meadow style patch you should do as you do for any other area of the garden. IE: Give the plants what is best for THEM. If that means leaving the soil as it is for now, just do that mate.

One good thing about having a wildflower area is that it will look nice while you decide on what to do. Your toddler may be bored with it by next year and by then you may have other ideas for the patch.

Mrs Chopper has just suggested that a green manure mixture will also look good and colourful while putting natural goodness back into the soil. I kind of like that idea myself. Is your toddler able to appreciate something like growing cress or bean sprouts?

Chopper.

PS: I only eat children on Wednesdays. All other times I pickle them.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Worth a visit to East Ruston Old Vicarage when their wildflower meadow is at full tilt.

They resow every year, adjusting the mix according to what self sows, and what needs "help" to compete

http://www.e-ruston-oldvicaragegardens.co.uk/cornfield/index.php

9. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    That's a cool link, Kristen, their cornfield looks just stunning and, if Christopher Lloyd heaped praise on it, it must be good - inspirational even :thumb:

10. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I flicked through some of the pages in Kristen's link. There's loads of inspiration to be had from there, not just for the wildflower bit, but they've done some cool things with little nooks and crannies too.

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    The East Ruston Old Vicarage garden is the most inspirational garden I have seen. I have read many people's comments that it is premier contemporary garden of our times.

There are some more pictures on my blog from our visit last year:
    http://kgarden.wordpress.com/english-garden-visits/east-ruston-old-vicarage/

12. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I've just looked at your blog, Kristen - wonderful, marvellous, I want to go there, drool, drool.
    Really inspirational, thanks for sharing.

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Sorry, repeating myself, but I can't recommend a visit highly enough. Bit of a pity its right on one side of the country rather than slap-bang in the middle!

I've been to numerous famous gardens - nothing has "done it for me" as much as this one :)