Should I let this 'scan' my computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Fidgetsmum, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +866
    I periodically get a message which says 'Windows Defender wants to scan your computer'.

I've got firewalls, anti-virus etc., etc., and, until this message popped up hadn't even heard of Windows Defender (although I'm the first to admit I know less than nothing about computers). So before I got ahead, can someone please tell me what is 'Windows Defender ...'? and should I let it do it's scan?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,597
    Its old. Windows Defender is legit, but that's not to say that something masquerading as it is legit.

I'd ignore it, get rid of it, and install Microsoft Security Essentials (only download it from microsoft's website), and let that scan your machine.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,804
    Which? Computing gave Windows Defender a fairly good rating but gave Security Essentials a better rating but it depends on whether you maintain other good software to do the same job. I don't know enough to know whether it's OK to run both.

5. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,597
    Apart from just that its been superseded by MS Security Essentials, the main reason I advise to get rid of it is just because its apparently never popped up before, which rouses some suspicion about its authenticity to me.

One of the latest tricks in malware is for a dodgy app to pretend to be a legitimate one, because security has improved enough in recent years to make it a bit harder for malicious software to run without your consent. Most of us will have seen prompts from Windows asking us if we want to allow a program to run. That happens when an app needs administrator permissions to run, so you run a much lower priveleged app to pretend to be a legit app, that gets you to grant permission to run, then its does its mischief with your permission.

6. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +866
    I'm very grateful to you all. I have to say disabling seems to be the way to go except .... I can't find the blessed thing - a search under all programs doesn't show up anything.

Ooooh, how I wish I understood computers.

7. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,597
    If you install MS Security Essentials, and let that scan your machine, then if it finds a legit Windows Defender, then nowt to worry about. If it finds a dodgy one, it will sort it out for you.

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    To be honest, I do not run any Microsoft stuff.

I use Eset Smart security, and so far, I haven't had any issues.