Should I Prune Them This First Year?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hetty, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi, I have some small roses and some lavender that I planted last year around september/octoberish.. remarkably they have survived the awful winter (we live near the pentlands so had it very bad and very cold) and are all growing nicely..my question is should I be pruning them this year?

The roses are only small maybe a few inches high (obviously bought from a shop like that as just bare stems) but are covered in leaves though still tiny..likewise the lavender.

I know eventually they will need to be cut back but just wasn't sure if this first year they should?

Thank you for your help!

2. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    No and yes.

no to tthe lavender - just a trim after flowering

yes to the rose - I would trim it back to 2 or 3 buds to get a structure but it does depend on what type of rose it is

3. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would say a little off the lavender too, the more growth you generate close to the centre the bushier the plant will be.

4. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thank you very much both for answering :)

I can't remember what kind of roses they are and in my wisdom I obviously decided not to keep the plant labels (note to self for future!)..so I will take a pic over the next few days to show you and you can see what you think.

God bless xx