Should I prune this rose now?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by tabhan, Feb 7, 2010.

1. tabhan

tabhan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a hybrid tea rose, planted last year in early summer.

I was intending to follow the advice in my gardening book, which is to prune it back in early spring. However, I've just been out and it's already opening up shoots at the top of all the branches!

If I prune it hard now, is that going to ruin its growth for the year, since it has already started? Indeed, if I prune it now and we then get more hard frosts is it going to be in trouble?

I don't want a leggy rose, but I also don't want to have no blooms this year.

(as an aside, it also hasn't dropped its leaves this winter - despite all the snow and ice - have I found the first evergreen rose?!?!)

Thanks!

Matthew

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Matthew, Welcome to GC.

No, it isn't the world's first evergreen rose, it is very common for them not to defoliate completely in winter. I have pruned my roses this year so I would if I were you. I would also remove those leaves when you prune, no one wants old tatty leaves on a rose-the young, new, fresh leaves are by far the best.

I hope I have been of help.

3. tabhan

tabhan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lollipop! Unless anyone offers a contradictory opinion, I shall get busy with the secateurs in the next few days. ; )

4. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    im not going to be contradictory.... some peole may, but as far as im concerned, you'd be fine now, you'd be fine in early spring, and youd would have been fine in november or december - roses are tough.