1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your recent purchases 2017

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Zigs, Feb 11, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +5,859
    More than happy to send you another [email protected]:)? If at 1st you don't succeed and all that. There are loads of lovely plants you can grow and I can't so I don't feel toooooo sorry for you that you haven't got Meconopsis to grow with you yet:). it is important I've found to store the seed in the fridge over winter prior to sowing. In the 15 odd years I've grown them I've never had a self seeded 1 yet! I expect it's the winter wet which rots the seed prior to it getting a chance to germinate but that's a pure guess. Oh by the way I have truck loads of your Chillis:):). They are yellow atm but still time to ripen I hope, in the greenhouse before it gets really cold (quite a bit of dew on the car windscreens this am and it's not even 1/2 way through August:yikes:). I will bring the plants inside if it gets really cold...oooops I think I've gone off topic which will prove @Sheal 's point that I have a habit of this:rolleyespink:. I'll shut up and go away!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +51,694
      @silu We kept the seeds in the fridge but they still didn't take :dunno: Mrs Shiney said she would be happy to receive some more. :blue thumb:

The chillies should start to ripen soon. Try taking one plant indoors, near a window (prefers sunshine) in a warm room. That might give you a head start on them. If that gets them to ripen faster than those in the greenhouse then you can start swapping them around. Once they've started going red you won't be able to keep up with them - unless you like loads of hot :heehee:. I had four with my dinner last night.

• Like Like x 2
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +5,859
        Fine @shiney I'll go and see what the state of play with the seed heads is and send you loads. I'll take seed from different plants to give you the best chance. I'll let you know when it's on it's way. :fingers crossed:. Maybe get Mrs Shiney to read this Raising from seed - Ian Christie. I actually purchased my original Meconopsis from Ian Christie. Perhaps have a go at sowing some of the seed straight away and then the remainder early next year which would give you "2 bites at the cherry".I use leaf mould 3/4 to 1/4 sharp sand as a sowing medium which works fine but anything that's free draining and ericaceous should be ok. If your tap water is limey then maybe water the seed tray/seedlings with rainwater if you can. If this doesn't work swear and give up:snorky:They are so beautiful it's worth the effort to get the bu..ers to germinate. Having a big garden as you do you'd want a fair few to make a decent show and the shop bought can be very pricey and not always that healthy either. The good news is they are pretty long lived, flower for a fair few weeks and they flower here after the main Spring flush, about the same time as my Flag Iris. They bulk up quite well and can be split up. I haven't sowed any for a while now as I must have over 50 which are going on for 10 years old and still going strong. Thanks for the info re your Chillis, will do. 4 for dinner:yikes: gawd you'll be like a fire breathing dragon:).

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • alana

alana Keen Gardener

Head Gardener
          Ratings:
          +744
          I bought some solar lights to light up the path to our summerhouse. They were going cheap in B and M. We've had no sun here today so I doubt if they'll work.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +4,018
            Hoping for a delivery of agastache Kudos Silver Blue today but the supplier rang instead to say the whole batch has powdery mildew and not fit to sell. Ah well! I'll console myself with another donut :phew:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • alana

alana Keen Gardener

Head Gardener
              Ratings:
              +744
              I went over the border to Norfolk this morning ( no passport needed) but I kept my head down in case of flying arrows.

Diss auction have a sale every Friday and sometimes they have good plants. A combination of the sunshine and forgetting how full my garden was already resulted in me getting a little bit carried away with the bidding today. Here is what I bought – now I have to do a bit of shuffling around in the borders.

Pandorea Fragance x 2 – evergreen - yeah

Leucothoe axillaris “curly red” x 3 – great for flower arranging and also evergreen

Cotinus Coggygria “Royal Purple” x 2

Delphinium Magic Fountain Pure White x 8

Armeria Ballerina Neon Purple x 8

I was told the leucothoe prefer acidic soil – any advise on this please
              P1000347.JPG

• Like Like x 3
              • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Super Gardener

Taxi Driver
                Ratings:
                +1,517
                I have no idea what any of those plants are but I'm sure they'll look fab. :hapydancsmil:

G.

• Funny Funny x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +51,694
                  I thought you were all related!!! :whistle: ;) :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• alana

alana Keen Gardener

Head Gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +744
                  I'm not an East Anglian by birth and I find the rivalry funny :biggrin: but apparently it all goes back to the "herring wars".
                  People round here have long memories and when I moved to Suffolk I felt like an alien:hate-shocked: because (in their words, "She comes from away")

It seem strange to me that you should dislike the very people who are the most like you due to their geographical proximity.
                  I see you live on a border too Shiney. Is there any friendly rivalry between your two counties?

• Verdun

Ratings:
                  +4,018
                  Yes Alana, leucothoe need same conditions as pieris, azaleas and rhodos so acid soil is essential :)
                  Re rivalries...it is tribal alana. Down here we now use rugby to fight our differences; just being 5 miles apart is enough:snorky:

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +51,694
                  Only after we've put out swords and spears down. :blue thumb:

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Jack Sparrow

Taxi Driver
                    Ratings:
                    +1,517
                    image.jpeg

I bought these today. They will be part of my "kiddie corner" when I get round to doing it. I originally thought about planting a row of dwarf sunflower around the border. Research told me that sunflowers were annuals so that was ruled out. Saved me a lot of hard work too so no biggy. I then decided if I couldn't have real sunflowers I would find some artificial ones. I came across these today in a half price sale. I thought "that will do nicely". :yahoo:

They are clearly solar powered but they might not be used that way.

G.

• Like Like x 1
                    • alana

alana Keen Gardener

Head Gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +744
                      Thanks for the advice on the leucothoe Verdun - I think I'll keep them in pots because my soil is neutral although the rhodies do well.

Your little gnomes made me smile Jack Sparrow - I'm sure the children will love them.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Jack Sparrow

Taxi Driver
                        Ratings:
                        +1,517
                        image.jpeg

Today I bought a bag of poo. I could have bought 2 and got 1 free but the bag was so heavy I just bought the one and hoped it would fulfill my immediate requirements. I guess I made the wrong decision. :gaah:

G.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Verdun

Ratings:
                          +4,018
                          You chickened out Gary!!!:lunapic 130165696578242 5: Get the offer tomorrow....it is useful stuff to have :)

• Agree Agree x 1