Shrub suggestions needed please

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Fidgetsmum, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    My daughter and son-in-law recently moved into their first house, they've almost finished inside and during the last few days (or should I call it 'summer'?), have turned their attention to the garden - which is about 60' x 40'; light sandy soil with fairly neutral pH; runs north/south and one side has a neighbour's leylandii hedge growing along it, (and although well trimmed and maintained, the roots will still be there of course).

The previous owners (an older couple) went for the 'rectangle of lawn and 4' or 5' borders of bedding plants with a few annuals' approach to gardening which, when my daughter first viewed the house late last summer, looked spectacular but has since left them with a rectangle of lawn and 4' or 5' borders of bare earth!

At 26 and 28 respectively, they are most definitely not into spending all their free time in hours of weeding so whilst they plan to plant some bedding and annuals this year, would like to begin to add a bit of year-round interest by planting a few shrubs.

The 'brief', I'm told is "... it doesn't matter whether or not they flower although some flowers would be nice, something evergreen or with nice leaves [a reference I think to Euonymus] and/or maybe some nice coloured stems in the winter, but most importantly, something which will eventually spread but won't grow too tall or 'go rampant' on us". To which I would add, something which is fairly self-sufficient and will withstand novice gardeners!

The only absolute 'no-nos' are lavender, pieris, lavetera and hypericum, apart from which, all suggestions would be welcome.

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Which way does the border without the Leylandii hedge face? Depends obviously on the aspect, but I'm bound to say Rhododendrons of course :snork: or Roses, Camellias (all pretty easy to care for if planted in the correct position), an Acer or two, Prunus Lusitanica is a nice backdrop, Choisya Ternata, Skimmia Japonica and an Osmanthus would look good at the back of the border and how about a nice Lilac (dwarf one if they don't want it to get too big) :)

They do need to put in a bit of effort in year one because whatever they plant will require an extra bit of TLC (including regular watering) until they become established.

Have no idea what (if anything) can be planted by the Leylandii hedge.

3. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,832
    They do need to put in a bit of effort in year one because whatever they plant will require an extra bit of TLC (including regular watering) until they become established.
    Very good advice MW, it's so easy to forget that in the early stages of gardening. If it's sandy, then watering will be important.
    I love the Spiraeas, Deutzias, Hebes, and Pittosporiums- especially the dark leaved one,
    Jenny

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    I usually plan an area like I plan decorating a room. Each piece playes off each other enhancing with color and style. Also I love fragrance. In an outdoor space one would think of a seating nook area to read or have a glass of wine. Experiencing a wonderful fragrance and visual appealing landscaping is a must. Thus I would not suggest a shrub for you at this time.

5. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    Ceonothus and Cistus come to mind for a sandy soil. :)

6. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,334
    I'd recommend choisya, eleagnus, pittosporum, osmanthus, ceanothus, cistus and escallonia for greenery and flowers. Then, depending on whether they prefer yellow or silver variegation, golden choisya, euonymus, eleagnus again, phormium 'Yellow Wave', salvia 'Icterina'; or Rhamnus alaternus, pittosporum again, euonymus again, convolvulus cneorum, silver-leaved cistus and purple-leaved sage. Then they could add more colour with photinia 'Pink Marble', phormium 'Sundowner', cornus 'Midwinter Flame', cotinus 'Royal Purple'.....They could make a lovely garden without an annual in sight:)

You beat me to it, Sheal:heehee:

7. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Brilliant suggestions thank you. They certainly don't mind doing some gardening or giving new plants the TLC they'll need - it's just the endless removal of weeds from between bedding plants that don't interest a couple of 20-somethings with lots of other things to do.

I shall now go away, find pictures of your suggestions (since they don't yet know an acer from a zinnia) and let them decide - since it's their 3rd wedding anniversary soon, and we promised to buy them something for their garden - this could, I fear, prove ...... expensive :heehee:

Thank you again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Woven Weed-Membrane and bark mulch perhaps?

I'm sure you've thought of it, but something that flowers around the anniversary perhaps?