Shrubs that grow well in clay soil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Osbaldwick, May 2, 2010.

1. Osbaldwick

Osbaldwick Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The soil where we live is extremely clay based and we have mixed success in our garden.

I am looking to plant some shrubs in a relatively sunny location, prefer plenty of colour and there is plenty of space. What would people suggest?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Osbaldwick, well for starters Abelias do well in clay soil... Lilacs... My bro has a super Magnolia too.. Hope that helps.. :thumb:

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Hi Osbaldwick I have clay soil ,and Weigela ,Cotoneaster (evergreen and deciduous)Escallonia seem to grow well here:)

4. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Rosa Rugosa. My nan had the gloriousest (that is a proper word!) Rugosa ever seen in the neighbourhood. The soil on the spot is pure clay. It was given a daily bucketful of washing up water to boost the growth and when it reached its golden years (together with my granddad) enjoyed frequent night time urine based feeds as well. Magnificient plant, in addition to the flowers also the autumn colour and the hips are lovely.