Shuttlecock fern Matteuccia struthiopteris

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by *dim*, Jan 27, 2012.

1. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I will be adding some plants to an area that is against a 6 foot fence ....

the width of the bed is approx 800mm, and a path runs next to the bed ...

I am looking at planting 2 of these ferns ... they are narrow, grow tall (2 meters high) ...

my only concern is that I have also landscaped the adjoining property, and that garden has been landscaped in a Japanese theme ... I have read that these ferns can become invasive (spread) ...

has anyone planted these, and how invasive are they (if they spread to the neighbours garden, the neighbour will use roundup to get rid of them, and may kill the original ferns?

[​IMG]

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    In a damp soil situation, as say along side a stream, they can spread by spores quite widely, but in drier areas they are less likely to do so. The only one we have has stayed as one clump for the last 8 years or so and never spread, sadly.

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      this is the area ...I initially had 2 small tree ferns planned, but the owner does not want to spend too much ....so, instead of the tree ferns, I will look at these ferns

on the right hand side, I have shown a fatsia to hide the shed ... I will use a fatsia, but will get a fatsia variagata (the one with the white markings on the leaves)

[​IMG]

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi Dim

I grow these they do spread by underground (i dont know what the name is) and pop up 3 feet away which I dont mind but I think they stay conected I could be wrong , but this does take two years at least before they start spreading they look amazing in the spring but look a bit tatty come the summer , I have also caught vine weevels feeding on the leaf as well !!!

I root barrier would work and you know what you are doing with that

just thought they only pop up in the border I havnt seen any pop up in the lawn yet !!

Spruce

• theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
      +149
      Hi Dim
      I have planted these in several areas over the last 20 years or so now. They look great in a group or as a spot plant in a natural style damp area and by water. They do spread once established by a rhizome just beneath the surface, which as Spruce says - stays attached to the original plant. They chop through and lift easily...but I imagine if one was round up'd it would kill the adjoining plants.
      A root barrier just 30cm deep along the fence would easily solve this.

Are you sure it's the right plant for the place though? One reason they look so good in a natural setting is they thrive in a bit of dappled shade in damp areas. Once the fronds die down, there would be nothing to see and it looks to me as though you are using them as a sort of dot plant in what is essentially a bedding scheme using perennials.

• Like Like x 1
      • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,389
        It looks like the same fern that grows wild in north Italy, deep in the wood next to where my parents used to live.
        If so, it is really just suitable for shade, you definitely don't find it in the sun, rarely in mid sun.
        I would not call it invasive from what I have seen but it is a beautiful plant which i have attempted several time to grow.
        Same soil where you find mushrooms, chestnut trees and conifers ...does it help?

• Like Like x 1
        • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          thanks for that ... the area is north facing and is in semi shade, hence my inclusion of a fatsia, other ferns and Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'

I have been thinking and not sure if I will go with the shuttlecock fern .... am currently looking for an evergreen hardy fern that has similar colour/foilage to a tree fern .... and that grows approx 750mm+ tall

any suggestions?

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
        • Spruce

Ratings:
          +12,352
          Dim

Nice choice pity it didnt get sun I think Yucca's would of realy looked good and all year structure , if they want a easy garden with little to do.

It amazes me people ask me in work why is gardening hard work then you find out they do nothing at all :help:but want it to look good :yahoo:

Spruce

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          well, I have learned loads about ferns in the last 2 days .... might still change my mind in a day or 2 .... I already changed the design slightly by adding a Sarcococca (christmas box) for sweet smell in the l/h side corner by the door

that door is used daily and the Sarcococca will give good fragrance .... I have a bit of space to play with there, as the door that opens is on the far side ... was going to plant one of these on the far side, but ran out of space
          Sarcococca’s heavenly scent (in the shade!) « Out of my shed

I've really enjoyed sorting this garden ... lady is well pleased so far, and these are the final touches .... I have got loads of new work from her friends and they all want similar

herewith a 'cad' view from the kitchen window: (a view when everything matures in a few years time) .... 99% of the plants/shrubs have already been planted last year ... the beds are raised, so the depiction in the pic is incorrect, as the japanese yellow grass does not overlap the lawn ...

nice thing with this job, there was nothing there when I started, and the lady told me to plan and plant as though it were my own garden .... obviously within reason as far as budget was concerned

[​IMG]

• Spruce

Ratings:
          +12,352
          Hi Dim

l:dbgrtmb:ooking good

I have grown the yellow japanese grass , I always had the best colour when it grew in sun , have you thought of Lily Turf as I call it , maybe a better option considering its North Facing plus amazing purple flowers late in the season

Buy big blue lily-turf Liriope muscari: Delivery by Crocus.co.uk

Spruce

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          thanks Spruce ... have never planted those, but will have a very close look ...

• Spruce

Ratings:
          +12,352
          Hi Dim

Worth looking into they do a varigated one as well which I have 2 plants off slower growing but looks stunning in the summer funny enough backdrop of various ferns I grow, plus in the park by my works massive clumps that grow in the part it never get sun in and everyone comments every year when in flower how good it looks plus once in very little work involved looking after them , on the slow side with growing but a lazy gardenrs dream plant !!!

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
          • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,090
            I think they are absolutely fantastic plants, it's hard to imagine having too many. Just think of a deep dark Devon forest or a dank dripping Lake District one. They look totally superb against a backdrop of brown Autumns leaves. But they can't be that hard to just dig out, surely?