Sick Camelia

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Heather, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Heather

Heather Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, Can I ask advice again please..... Does anyone know what is wrong with my camelia? There is no obvious sign of any insects on it and I don't know what is causing the white marks on the underside of the leaves.....
    Thanks Heather

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi Heather...looks like mealybug..if you can take the time, wipe off all what you see with cottonwool soaked in Methilated spirit...or buy a bottle and usually a small hand sprayer will fit bottle and spray it all over...stems too, normally start in leaf axils..if you remove too many leaves,it probably won't be able to grow them back this year,but you can ...the most infested ones.. also give it a sachet of Sequestered iron, it's a kind of conditioner and also still feed it ...best is a 10-12-27.

Ladybird

3. Heather

Heather Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ladybird, Sorry if I sound really stupid but what is a 10-12-27? :confused:
    Heather

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    As I recall - its the name of the feed. I would totally concurr with Ladybird about the treatment for mealy bug. However the leaves look a little on the yellow side and that is why the suggestion of sequestrian and feeding it. Camelias should have a glossy dark green leaf - but they are lime haters - and in containers can get into difficulties if the compost is wrong, and being watered with tap water. They need to be planted in ericaceous compost, and fed with food specially for lime haters. Miracid is another feed that works well. If you can not use rain water, then water with boiled water (after its cooled of course :D )

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126