Sickly sea holly ?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Brewman, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Brewman

Brewman Apprentice Gardener

Manager - Public Sector
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Everyone, I could really use some help and advice I have purchased the enclosed sea holly and it looks like its clearly suffering the effects of heat and travel via the postal system I have received the plant today and I have given it a good watering and left it in some partial shade on the patio any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    John

Attached Files:

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Give it a good drink, if rain forecast put it where it`s going, and it should , hopefully settle , where did you buy it.

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    It looks to me like it wants sending back to where you purchased it from because it shouldn't be looking like that:sad:

We have seen wild sea hollys growing along the coasts in sand dunes this week and they are in full sun and all the large plants are in flower.They seem to like the sandy conditions they are growing in.

If you can see if you can put it somewhere in the shade where it can at least retain some moisture.I don't think the wilted flower spike will recover but you might be lucky.

I wouldn't stick it in the ground until it has recovered a bit as the shock could finish it off.It is already suffering as it is and might be too far gone but with some TLC(Tender Loving Care) it might survive as I can see one or two green leaves.It could also be lacking in nutrients and that is what is making the leaves go yellow.

Do let us know how you get on because they look a beautiful plant if somewhat spiney:smile: