sign online petition against bee killing insecticides

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by loveweeds, Apr 27, 2012.

1. loveweeds

loveweeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +210
    i have previously voted on this webpage, it seems quite serious and proper to me

here is the headline/topic for that particular vote:

Quietly, globally, billions of bees are dying, threatening our crops and food. But if Bayer stops selling one group of pesticides, we could save bees from extinction.
    In 24 hours, shareholders at the biggest chemical producer, Bayer, could vote to stop their toxic production. Massive public pressure has forced this debate, now lets make sure they vote to save the bees!

http://www.avaaz.org/en/bayer_save_the_bees/?sbc

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      I've done it, but not much faith in it swaying the balance. Bayer used to be a client of mine and I'm not at all certain that their "conversion" to Nature before Money is more than trying to avoid bad publicity.:scratch::mad:

Here's an extract from an article in the Amateur Gardening Magazine, the second one that they've run on the same subject in two weeks.

"Gardeners are set to come under more pressure to ditch a group of pesticides known at neonicotinoids, due to worries over bee colony deaths.
      An investigation at Reading University, back by Friends of the Earth, fouund it would cost £1.8 Billion a year to hand pollinate UK crops if bees died out altogether.
      Last week, AG reported how French Scientists had claimed that neonicotinoids [ingredients found in some garden bug sprays] confuse Honey Bees, interfering with their ability to navigate back to Hives. Bee colonies across Europe have been devastated in recent years, with keepers reporting losses so of up to 50 per cent.
      Friends of the Earth Nature campaigner, Paul de Zylva said "unless we can halt the decline in British Bees, our farmers will have to rely on hand pollinatio, which will send food prices rocketing"
      Former Gardeners World presenter Toby Buckland opposes the use of neonicotinoids, but has defended Gardeners. Writing in AG next week Toby will say "I've read about the scandalous over use of neonicotinoids, insect killing chemicals that are now proven to be the reason why Bees are in decline. I don't agree with their use, but headlines such as "Gardeners Perfect Roses are Killing Bees" impunes the wrong people. It's not Gardeners spraying bugs on the odd plants that has caused this catastrophe but some irresponsible farmers who slosh these chemicals around like there's no tomorrow"
      The Soil Association said that it believes there is "already enough evidence to justify an immediate ban on neonicotinoids today". Chemical firm Scotts Miracle Gro, however, has insisted that "multiple factors" affect Bee health, including parasitic diseases such as Varroa mite, fungal and viral diseases, habitat loss, climatic change, and Bee keeping and husbandry practices. A Scotts statement said "Their use [neonicotinoids] was suspended in France and then lifted after ten years as there was no evidence of improvement in Bee health when they were suspended. These products are widely used in Australia where there are no Bee health issues"

I think the average weekend gardener uses Insecticides without much knowledge or thought about the properties of the chemical or the effects it can have. In this age of electronic communication there is now a growing awareness of the use of chemicals amongst gardeners. I try to keep the use of chemicals, [usually fungicides], to a minimum but there are times when I do have to resort to them. The trouble is that when we buy such a product there is not enough information on the ingredients and effects at the point of purchase for the obvious reason that we probably wouldn't buy it if there was.

Ah well, fingers crossed that I'm wrong about Shareholders having an effective say in the products of Bayers.:snork:

• Like Like x 3
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,076
        There has always, in my life time anyway, been insecticides that kill bees.

I can remember way back, it always said, spray late in the day to avoid killing bees.

Ok its probably the farmers that are causing more damage than us gardeners, but they have always sprayed crops with nasty stuff, some probably nastier than these days.

I think there is a lot more to this recent destruction of bees than pesticides alone.

• Like Like x 2
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,076
          Oh and if the shareholders feel as strongly about it as that, why dont they just sell their shares and get out.

Money perhaps:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,596
            Done, and pushed onto Facebook too. Though I do wonder if its a case of one company being a scapegoat for a bigger problem though. Is it not the case that all insecticides kill bees? I always thought bees were insects, insecticides kill insects, and therefore insecticides kill bees. But maybe its not that simple.

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              Well, I'm not sure if selling the shares would have the effect of Bayer changing it's ways and products, if that was what the selling share holder wanted, Pete.:dunno: Perhaps retaining the shares and hoping to influence Bayer in the future is better than selling the shares which would probably be bought by somebody who doesn't give a damn:doh: It is a fact that when I have a browse in my old gardening books that even 150 - 100 years ago they were commenting how bees were not as prevalent as "in the old days"!!:snork:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,593
              Montsano are ones to target aswell ... but they are too powerfull and have US government officials in their 'pockets' and on their board of directors ... an evil company

They have even gone as far as buying a bee research company now

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
              +12,352
              As some of you may know I keep honey bees.

It has been proven keeping bees in London the bees are more healthy than living in the Country Side (who would of belived that) so it is the pesticides that kill/weaken or mess up the homing instinct of the bee to get back to the hive , a lot of people thinks the main cause is the spraying , but the biggest killer its the granular pesticide that is taken up inside the plant and stays their for days or even weeks and pollen and nector are full of the poison. farmers/ local authorities !!! are to blame

The varroa mite hasnt helped but it is managable but somtimes its the tipping point , the next worry is small hive beetle not in the UK yet ?? but that will reek havoc plus we all have had a warning about the Asian Hornet that was accidently introduced to France last year and can easily fly over the Channel or hitch a ride in a lorry, and they love a meal of a honey bee , so as you can see its all stacked up against them

Other Eurpean Counties gets funding from Goverment but England none that I know off but Wales has provided Bee inspectors who manage and check Apiary sites all throghout the summer months and if asked will come and check your hives free of charge for any diseases etc and give out useful information ,

From what I have been told one of the leading Bee Societies in the UK its the chemical companies that provide the most funding to them which has caused a rift with many beekeepers across the UK .

I checked and for me encouaging in a 10 mile radious of my hosuse 119 beehives and my Society has grown fom 30 members two years ago to over 90 so lots of people doing their bit to help out

SO NO MORE PESTICIDES, JUST DOESNT KILL THE INSECTS BUT KILLS ALL THE GOOD SOIL ORGANISMS AS WELL

Spruce

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              I think Spruce has raised an very important point herem with his knowledge of Bees, in that Systemic insecticides are taken up by the plant. The systemic chemical travels to all parts of the plant including the pollen so that the Bee is inadvertently taking poison back to the Hive.............now that can't be good.:mad:

• Like Like x 2
              • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Jobs a gud un:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                  Ratings:
                  +31,832
                  Iv'e done it and sent it on to 24 email contacts,
                  Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 1
                  • pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +92,076
                    You cant buy shares in a company and then moan about how they make their money.
                    If you dont like, you dont buy into it in the first place.
                    Lets face it, who would buy shares in a company and then stop them making money?

On the systemic front, these have been around for years, contact poisons went out with the ark.
                    Infact most of the old ones have now been banned.
                    And we are using more modern, "safer" chemicals, or so they tell us.

I find most of the stuff available to gardeners these days is fairly ineffective on anything other than aphids, although they make all kinds of claims about how effective they are on other insects.

I'm tending to think its more a problem with the EC rules as to what we can use and what we cant, as I say, we used all kinds up till a few years ago, but now the choice is very limited.
                    Lots of different trade names, and mostly the active ingredient is in the smallest lettering possible so you dont realise that when you buy two products they are actually the same substance.

• Like Like x 1
                    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                      +19,596
                      I didn't realise there was such a thing as systemic pesticides. That is surely worrying not just for the bees. If there is a chemical designed specifically to be a poison to animal life, and that chemical is designed to be absorbed by plants that are food crops, then surely WE are being poisoned by it too?