Silly compost question.

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Palustris, Sep 18, 2024 at 11:59 AM.

1. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Just turned over my compost heap and much of the bottom material is dust dry. So emptying the water butts on top, just wondered if the water will actually drain through and wet the dry stuff in the middle?

2. Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Gardener

Ratings:
    +111
    I'd be inclined to push the compost to the sides to make a dip in the middle, and pour in slowly, maybe with time in between to give it time to soak in rather than run down the outside...

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    After poring 800 litres of water on it, none ran off the sides. Not inclined to go delving into it to see if the inside is damp. Certainly plenty of heat coming from it. Steaming!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +23,857
      I try (and frequently fail) to keep my heap wetted but often end up with it drying out. It usually picks up again with a few watering cans of water

• Agree Agree x 1
      • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,334
        I've never had a compost heap go dry. Maybe it depends what goes on it, and whether it is a mix of green garden waste and dry (dry leaves or shredded paper).
        But then, mine are compost daleks, with plenty of bugs and worms, working hard

• Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,096
        I have a big bin and a small bin. The small bin makes compost twice as fast as the big one and doesn't go dry. The big bin always goes dry and takes ages to make compost. I think I'm going to leave the lid off and let it get rained on.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +23,857
        A good mix generates a lot of heat which dries out quicker. I'm a bit lazy and don't check on it much so it dries out

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,482
        I have the opposite problem as mine never dries out, even when sitting on open ground. It doesn't matter how often it's turned either, as I've discovered over the years by experimenting. I always have a good mix of greens and browns, and try to add more browns whenever possible.
        They say cold compost might take longer but is actually better. Not sure how they judge that though.
        Sounds like yours is going well now @Palustris :blue thumb:

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,071
        It was just a point of interest. If I was really worried about it I would have added the water whilst I was turning the material. The new heap is more likely to get rained on than the original. It is only a few feet further along the garden, but not as overhung with trees.

• Like Like x 1