Sissinghurst Castle Gardens, 03.07.11

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by ClaraLou, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Did another trip to Sissinghurst today. It was mostly full of bemused foreigners, who were probably looking for Alton Towers.

This blue border was looking very good:

[​IMG]

I think the lovely clematis in this picture is probably 'Perle d'Azur', but on balance I didn't think it would be a good idea to climb into the border to look for a label:

[​IMG]

This is hemerocallis 'Corky', one of the older varieties but still one of my favourites, as it's quite dainty. I'm sure Simbad has it somewhere in her collection.

[​IMG]

The hot garden looks really good at this time of year:

[​IMG]

Here's another view of it. I like that dahlia!

[​IMG]

I love the poppy at the centre of this snap. It has black spots and is called 'Ladybird'. I think a few forum members grow it:

[​IMG]

Why don't my sweetpeas ever look like this?

[​IMG]

Sissinghurst now has a rather posh vegetable garden, which supplies some of the produce which is sold in the restaurant. I can recommend the raspberries - I had some with cream! This section is designed to attract pollinating insects:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
      +120
      Lovely pics, Clare, they are inspiring me to make a visit as I don't live too far away. We have visitors arriving who might let me point them in that direction :heehee:
      What is that sweetpea growing up? I think I see a well hidden rustic wigwam in the depths there. For a minute, I thought it had been trained up a fennel - now there's a thought!!

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      Hello Tiarella!

Yes, there is a very nice wigwam under all the flowers. Everything is grown beautifully - but then there is a small army of staff to keep it that way. The shrub roses always look wonderful because they are trained over a system of discreet supports, rather than flopping all over the place as they do in most suburban gardens.

If you do visit Sissinghurst, have a wander around the lakes and the woods (signposted from the NT shop) which also form part of the estate. Most visitors miss out on them but they're just as interesting as the formal garden.

• Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
      Ratings:
      +1,668
      What a stunning places, Clara:dbgrtmb:.....i cant wait to come on over:happydance: and be one of those "bemused foreigners", in a couple years :heehee::heehee:

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      Tee hee, Penny! :heehee: You'll be in good hands. The staff and volunteers there are great. I think they like their jobs!

• Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
      Ratings:
      +1,668
      I'm sure........i cant wait to come over for a visit!!:D

We almost came over this August:WINK1:, but we decided to gut the bathroom and add a new deck on the house :yess::yess: