1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Siting of compost bins

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by luciusmaximus, Dec 17, 2017.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    I'm still contemplating making compost - been somewhat busy with other stuff, so not actually done anything about it. Anyways, hoping to get organized in new year. Would compost bins be ok in deep shade? I don't have anywhere else I could put them without them being on view and possibly smelling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      They would be ok in deep shade. However, the pay-off would be: it would take longer to break down ;)
      In *your* particular circumstances (e.g. rabbits/hogs) the soiled bedding would create the "warmth" needed for breaking down the compost. Nonetheless, it would still take longer; but never a wasted effort!
      I've yet to achieve the "nice, crumbly compost" after one year that advocates promote; and, that is with a bin in sun for most of the summer plus being fed with coop wastage! It does get there ... eventually; just not as soon as some of the "experts" promote.

Do give it a go! If deep shade is all you have, then that should not put you off. Just know it won't be "ready" in the short term ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +8,306
        Mine is in slight shade, so I've glued Bubble Wrap around my bin.........Not sure if it helps though!

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Well managed and kept compost heaps don't smell, lucius, providing you don't put any foodstuffs in it:dunno::nonofinger::snorky:. Some people actually manage to make their compost heaps into a discrete feature and I've never been in a garden where it's an eyesore.:dunno::snorky: I regard my compost heap as an essential part of the garden and, in fact, when I've shown visitors the compost heap they've wanted one!!:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,494
            There are better places than deep shade but that shouldn't stop you. Deep shade is good enough. They shouldn't smell. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,494
              They say that you should turn the compost once a month to help it rot down quicker. That's not easy if you use a bin so you just wait until it's ready.

I'm lucky enough to have open compost heaps and I cheat a little bit. I add horse manure to them and ash from the bonfire and then turn it in. As I also no longer am able to do the hard work of turning it but fork, or spade, I run a rotovator through it and after six to nine months I end up with this.

P1330556.JPG

• Like Like x 3
              • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                Ratings:
                +6,899
                I did some reading on compost making and thought bins would be the easiest option based on that. I would prefer a heap as more beneficial to wildlife but read that heaps and compost crates need turning every week and covering with tarp to prevent them getting too wet. Also read about the smell. Perhaps I read too much :dunno: :whistle: :snorky:. I always have bags of used hay ( currently producing two bags a day at moment due to the extra hedgehogs ).

@shiney Could I use ash from the wood burner? I burn a mixture of birch,ash, soft woods, wood pellets from the rats litter trays and eco logs. The tray needs emptying daily and at the moment I'm just throwing it away. Could I put all the ash onto a compost heap or just some of it ?

@ARMANDII When you say no foodstuffs does this include veg peelings? I know not to add potato peelings. And what about gone over fruit? Don't have much fruit waste admittedly but do have stuff like satsuma or banana skins and occasional cooking apple peelings.

• shiney

Ratings:
                +118,494
                There are some interesting arguments for and against a lot of what gets put into a compost heap - or bin. I'll try to give a non-expert point of view. It may not be too helpful and I'm sure others on here will have different views.

Ash:- I try to not put much more than what would make up 5% of the volume as it could be detrimental to some of the plants you wish to grow. If it's an open heap then some of the potash will leach away. Do not use it on acid loving plants but if put on a compost heap for up to a year it will not raise the PH of the soil much - if at all. It does help provide some other elements such as phosphorous, calcium and boron. I find that at 5% and on the heap for at least six months it has little effect on PH but it helps put texture into the mix.

I also spread a small amount of ash directly onto some parts of the garden - don't put it near acid loving plants, potatoes (encourages scab) or berries - but put in the compost as above and turned regularly it will not affect the garden much, one way or another.

Only use the animal bedding if they are on a veggie diet.

Potato peelings:- lots of different ideas about this and it depends on your point of view and what you grow. With shop bought potatoes you have no idea whether blight may be around. This is not a problem if you make sure you bury the peelings and turn the compost regularly - and if you don't grow potatoes it doesn't matter (unless your neighbours grow them). If left undisturbed in the compost you may get potatoes growing from the eyes that were in the skin. Some people simply pull out and bin any plants that grow.

Fruit peelings:- They don't cause problems with the compost but banana and Satsuma peelings take longer to break down.

I've just found this link and it explains some of the things

10 Things You Should Not Put in a Compost Pile | Small Footprint Family

Smell:- if you don't add meat waste or droppings from carnivores then you won't get any smells - apart from a nice compost smell.

I probably put about a 3" layer of ash onto that heap in the picture and then mix it in. Wood tends to burn down to a small volume, anyway. I have regular big bonfires but have four compost heaps that size.

Open or closed:- I don't cover ours but we live in a dry part of the country so can't comment on them getting too wet - but they sometimes seem dryer than I think they should be and I then hose them down. @ARMANDII may be able to help you with that as he has a rather large compost heap and lives in a wetter part of the country.

This was a new bed (removed 22 x 40 yr old conifers) mixed with 9 month old compost and 30% horse manure. The plants have loved it.

P1220891.JPG

We have one heap that is just grass cuttings (in the front garden) and we don't mix anything else into it, or turn it. This is not because of gardening purposes but because the local cats like it :).
                P1170092.JPG

• Like Like x 5
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +6,543
                  CF584805-216A-4E31-9C76-14B29BC96F82.jpeg 1285F722-76E0-4030-88AD-296365213216.jpeg I have been composting for 37 years and think I have now got it right after all this time:biggrin:

@luciusmaximus when I first started composting all those years ago I used those green plastic slatted compost bins and still have one of them on the go even now so they last quiet well.I then tried the dalek sort but I found that because they are a bit on the small side,once the stuff rots downthey can get a bit awkward to take the flap at the front out and fork out the compost and lifting the whole thing off the compost was a bit of a struggle:sad:

When we moved to our current house and kept the allotment going we used internal doors that the builders were chucking in the skips when they got damaged on site.I asked the foreman explaining what we wanted them for and he said help yourself so after taking them to the lottie I got Mr Kandy to make a square by nailing them together and then would use another three nailed to the first bin.These last quiet a number of years until they rotted by which time I had the brainwave to use the tonne bags because talking to a friend he told me that once delivered they cannot be returned so after asking around our village I have managed to acquire quiet a few of them and they do hold quiet a lot of waste material:biggrin:

I compost everything even perennial weeds by chopping off the green part for composting and throwing away the roots.The only weed I don’t compost is bindweed because that is a terror for spreading by its roots.I also don’t compost wood,branches or rose prunings.These get burnt in my burning bins:biggrin:

I try to site my bins in a sunny position so that in the summer the waste rots down faster and if I have to put them in the shade I find that it takes a lot longer,anything up to a year.I also turn my bins at least every two months and by at least four months or six months it is nice and crumbly ready to go on my plots.Any large pieces still left by this time just gets put not a bucket and then tipped into my next bag.:biggrin:

I never put ash of any description in the bags as I feel personally a waste so I just rake my ash into the top of the soil and after doing this for all these years our ground has gone from solid clay to being nice and crumbly.:biggrin:

I also compost brown cardboard removing any sellotape/staples first and if the cardboard is thick I soak it in a bucket of water first.The worms love my cardboard and often when I come to separate the cardboard if it has stuck together in the bin it is full of baby worms:biggrin:

You can compost all fruit and veg peeling including spuds and in our greenhouse I have a date palm growing from when Mr K had dates last Xmas and the stones ended up in the compost bin.I don’t compost glossy magazines but any magazines I get that look like they are made of paper which will rot down ok I use them once I have removed the staples:biggrin:

I never ever composted dog or cat poo or cat litter as I used to worm my cats and didn’t want any health hazzards and Mr K said he wasn’t happy about cat litter going in the bins.I have even been known to stop my car while on the way to the allotment and scooping up horse poo from off of the road and putting that in for compositing before the cars squashed it into the tarmac...

• Like Like x 3
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    No, lucius, I was referring to meats of any kind, pizzas, bread and the like:dunno:. Vegetable peelings of any kind are great for composting.:snorky:

• shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,494
                    Who would want to throw out pizza? :scratch: :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Anyone who's tasted mine:hate-shocked::dunno::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 4
                      • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                        Ratings:
                        +6,899
                        Pizza is very easy to make, you can't really mess it up unless you overcook it :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                          Ratings:
                          +6,899
                          Thanks for all the replies re the composting :). So, I've now made a pile of used piggy/bunny hay. Will it matter that the hay has a small amount of shredded newspaper in it, courtesy of Peppermint in beserker bunny mode :snorky:. It's not much as I removed the larger pieces. I have a bag of veg peelings to add tomorrow

I did, awhile ago, make some piles of hay around the garden for the hedgehogs. They were not impressed :noidea:. The Rats liked them until the hay got wet and then they moved into the hedgehogs houses. I also tried a pile of lawn cuttings but they seemed to rot very quickly.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3