SkillShare Premium

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by ricky101, Jan 14, 2018.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Was able to use standard lead solder as the older machines at work were built with it and I used to component level repair, so have a big reel stocked away :)

Until I took the crossover out had no idea what I originally built them with, seems they are ALCAP which are about bottom rung, I think.
    Got some Mungdorf NP electros on the way , should be better, but do they make so much difference ?

I know the audio forums go on about popyprops but they can be an amazing price and suppose they are using them in really high end systems , doubt in my little room and simple system they would be worth while ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,857
      I believe that quality components make a marked difference - particularly the step from some 'love-you-long-time' tat to well engineered stuff like Mundorf (German, if I recall?) - as for the further steps, well you are again back into subjective territory; as you well know, the world of hi-fi is all about the law of diminishing returns..... you can spend as much as you like, but the point that you stop hearing the difference should determine where you stop spending.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        The Mundorf ones arrived today, so will let you know how it all sounds when I get the crossovers rebuilt and the cabinets refurbished, probably a week or two.

Think the more I read about speaker design, the more its seems like rocket science ! :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,184
          Hi FC,

Well have just complete the speaker refurbish and so far they sound much better, the treble clearer and the bass more open /extended but still retaining a degree of smoothness that I prefer.

Pics showing the old and new caps, and the Tannoys which have cleaned up nicely using your tip, though not sure what to do with them now, just a bit too forward for my ears, probably suit the younger ones more.

IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0830.JPG IMG_0831.JPG

• Like Like x 2
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +48,857
            Lovely tidy job you've done there @ricky101 - both on the crossovers and the speakers. :dbgrtmb:

The only thing I can suggest for the Tannoy's is to pop them on ebay and get yourself a few quid for them - they are a well known speaker to this day, so should go quick.

• Like Like x 2
            • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
              Ratings:
              +4,411
              I bought some kit from the USA some years ago and I wasn't aware that it was subject to import duty, customs charges, or whatever. The purchase price was $100 and someone turned up with it at my door and I had to give them £20 or whatever, there and then, or they'd take it away and it would have cost me more.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,184
                Hi again

Two little questions that I would be interested to know the answer to.

First on my speaker refurb, the sound across the range is so improved they really are what I hoped for.
                I have made various improvements to my system, thanks to FCs guidance, but even when I play a cd direct from the amp to the speaker without any pc connection the sound improvement is still as great.

The only real change to the speakers was the replacement of all the crossover capacitors and that I renewed the sealing gaskets on the infinite baffle cabinets.

I wonder which one or both has made such a dramatic difference, have read that a seal air leak can cause problems, but so much ? a problem you have ever heard ?

Second, you mentioned that when copying a CD disc to PC you save it in FLAC a higher resolution, will it result in any signal problems during the conversion, vs saving in the same native CD resolution ?

thanks.

• Like Like x 1