skimmia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by 1happy chick, Apr 18, 2005.

1. 1happy chick

1happy chick Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys!
    can anyone give me a clue as to why my skimmia is lookin like its about to croak it?! a couple of weeks ago, it was lookin fine and dandy and all of a sudden the leaves have gone all pale and wilted. the only thing we have done is put some home made compost on the borders. the compost itself looked and smelt good, and we were dead chuffed, as its our first lot!!!

HELP!

2. Penlan Perennials

Penlan Perennials Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Check around the roots for the dreaded vine weevil grubs (they resemble white maggots). Skimmias prefer acidic soil in shade, you dont give any clues as to how long its been where it is??

3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Penlan - could be the dreaded weevils, or simply that the soil isn't acidic enough (get a soil test kit from your garden centre to check - always test the acidity of your water first as this can alter the result). Try giving some sequestered iron to the skimmia or sulphur chipping the surrounding soil, if you find out the pH is higher than 6.5.

4. 1happy chick

1happy chick Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    totally forgot about that guys! if i check it for vine weevel, and its ok, could i dig it up and pot it on in some ericatious (cant spell) compost?