Skipping along today

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clanless, Nov 26, 2018.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    I've spent most of the day dumping stones into a skip. I've mentioned before that I've heavy clay soil which is full of stones and some builders waste thrown in for good measure.

The lady who used to live here landscaped into a low maintenance garden - which is I suspect why I am now finding an inordinate amount of stones in the soil.

Any how - in the course of filling the skip - my neighbour wandered over for a chat :hapfeet:- which in time moves onto the subject of skips.

I always thought that skips were hired on weight - so if you hire a 2 tonne skip - you can place a maximum of 2 tonnes of materials into said skip. But, my neighbour, who used the same skip company, tells me that he filled up his skip to well over 2 tonnes and it was accepted with no problem - so they are hired on volume.

Any one know for sure - are skips hired by weight or volume? :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      I think skips have been designed with a built in safety factor, it would be nigh on impossible to fill a 2 tonne skip with 5 tonne of rubble for instance, I've always filled my skips to the "fill level" or not much more, but i have seen skips made 2ft higher by doors around the edge and still be taken, I suppose that would be down to the skip hire company you choose, i can honestly say I've never known anyone have a skip refused to be emptied in my little sphere of life.