Slow Cooker

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Katherna, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a slow cooker from ASDA - £9 for the ONN 4.5 ltr one. Does anyone have any recipes as the ones in the book I probably would never make normally, lol. It's on atm cooking stew for tea, but would like to try some tried and tested recipes from you guys. :help: :thmb:

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    It would be quicker for you to google, than me type you all mine. There are so many out these days.

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Pot Roast excellent in slow cooker can give you a great recipe .

4. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The stew cooked, w0000000t. I'd gone out for the day and had visions of coming back home and it all being raw, or something disastrous happening to it, lol. Pot roast recipe would be great thanks :) I've looked on a couple of sites for some ideas but again it's things I'd not normally cook anyway or puddings, and I bought it to cook dinner in, lol, although the rice pudding one looked nice, heehee.

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    To survive all these years as a working women and put supper quickly on the table each night. I have used slow cookers, and ovens with timers and roast several things over the weekend to work with during the week.

6. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Just remember to *really* cook beans in boiling water, will you? :)

Apart from that I suppose it would do well for chili!

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Katherna,

My sister swears by hers, but I cook things a little more quickly than that myself. I`ll ask her and let you know.

But blinking eck-£9 for one, that`s a bargain.

8. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Pot Roast in Slow Cooker

Cooking oil to brown beef in pan on stove first till brown then transfer to slow cooker.

Sliced onion ,carrots parsnip or veg of your choice and saute in same pan as beef.

1/2pint of beef stock

French Mustard 3 teaspoons

Worcester sauce 1 tablespoon I use chilli sauce instead

2-3 bay leaves let this all come to boil then trasfet on top of beef in slow cooker and let slow cook an denjoy with roast tatties and veg.

Enjoy

9. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds really good Scotkat. I'll be giving that a go pretty soon. The stew was a success, everyone ate it and no complaints, the meat fell during cooking and the house smelled really nice when I came in with the cooking, heehee. I could have pretended to have slaved over a hot stove all day ;)

Lollipop - my mum went to get one but they'd all sold, don't know if it was a local offer or a national one, but I thought for £9 for that size it was a really good bargain, they're usually at least £30 for the larger sizes.

Ivory - tinned, heehee, I've never cooked beans from dried before so would be wary as I know that some can be dangerous if not cooked properly, so I'd use tinned, heehee takes the problem away.

10. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That's wise (and practical)! Just mentioned it in case you grow your own! :)
    Happy cooking!

11. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I grew runner beans, but wouldn't know where to start drying beans, heehee. The runner beans have all been eaten, lol, so couldn't dry any if I tried. Thanks for the tip though, good to know :)

12. Feathers

Feathers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I used my slow cooker a lot when working and was never disappointed with the results, especially that lovely cooking aroma on opening the door. Cook any casserole/ragu/soup but cut back a bit on the liquid. Put the veg at the bottom as this seems to take longer than meat. I always started my pot off in the microwave to get it really hot then transferred to the base. Slow cooker rice pud is divine.

Now last night I went out and left the oven to switch off with our supper in it and was terrified we would come back to charcoal!

13. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    After another excellent annual bommie night shindig, I reckon the best black peas I ever tasted this year-cooked by my sister in her slow cooker.

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    How did they taste Katherna. I don`t actually like them but thought if fresh grown maybe the taste improves.

15. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The runner beans didn't have any strings in them, I don't normally like them either, lol. They were actually really nice. Supermarket ones I've always had to take the string out but home grown ones = no string even the ones I left on the plant for too long - they were over 18" long, lol. All the homegrown veg was much much nicer than the freshest stuff in the supermarket.
    I've used my slow cooker several times now and I'm getting more confident in using it rather than being a nervous wreck whist it's on. I've stopped going into the kitchen and looking at the lid - I know I'm sad.