Slug resistant, drought tolerant plants

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by pip0387, Aug 11, 2015.

1. pip0387

pip0387 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm Philippa. I moved into my first home in March and it has a small back garden and a small front garden. In the front I have a very rough stone wall running alongside my driveway and I'd love to soften it and brighten it by planting something in the cracks. I'm a bit of a novice so please bear with me. I bought some small rose moss plants, planted them in the wall all pleased with myself and was then gutted when over the next few days they quickly got demolished by slugs. I know it's slugs as I caught them in the act a few times. I've bought some natria slug and snail stuff but I was thinking about starting again and planting some plants that the slugs won't be interested in but that are also drought tolerant as they'll be in the wall. I'm not sure anything like this exists but any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks

2. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    Hi Philippa...welcome to GC :sign0016:

I feel your pain. Slugs are a real nuisance for us gardeners. Have a look at Aubretia deltoidea. They would cope well in your wall and slugs leave them alone. :)

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    Unfortunately the molluscs will try almost anything at least once, certainly when new. I find that if I can get a plant through an initial season it appears to suffer less the next. Or perhaps I'm just over optimistic.
    Aubretia do well with me, as Fern4 said, for a stone wall you could try sempervivum (houseleeks) these are left alone by the molluscs in my garden and take the conditions well and I have hardy cyclamen growing in a very stony bank and in the hardcore/gravel around the greenhouse base with out problems.

• Like Like x 1