Slug resistant potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by polypody, Dec 29, 2022.

1. polypody

polypody Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I garden on fairly heavy clay soil although I do add compost & manure each year but it still retains a fair amount of moisture for most of the year. I grow mainly Kestrel potatoes because of their fairly good resistance (SR) to slug damage but am wondering if any other varieties show good resistance from other folks experience? I realise there are other varieties on the market that are supposed to be SR but none seem as good as Kestrel. I'd just like to try another variety this coming year. I did try using nematodes a few years back but they seemed to have no effect!

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,896
    I don't bother with main crop spuds now due to slug damage, I grow first earlies to minimise the damage, lots to pick from but can't go wrong with Charlotte.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      I'm finding charlotte to be a second early when I look it up and also described as a late first early.:biggrin: kestrel appears to be a second early.

I've noticed that charlotte is a favourite of supermarkets and is often available.

As for slug resistance, surely that depends on a lot of things, weather and growing conditions and even the type of slugs you have.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • polypody

polypody Gardener

Ratings:
        +7
        Thanks for the responses folks.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        From memory, the only time my spuds were bothered by slugs was when I grew maincrop. Probably 3 or 4 varieties, all were affected.