slugs-knew I shouldnt have spoken too soon

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by lazy-gardener, Apr 27, 2006.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I was very stupidly just telling someone at work that I hadnt seen any slugs in my garden!!! I went out last night to do some tidyig and 1 aconite plant i planted last week had almost disapeared!! Slimy little trails marked the culprit. Well their days are numbered now I can tell you!! serves me right for saying anything.

2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I sympathize totally!!!! I consider myself a pretty much peace-loving organic-as-possible person - but the gauntlets are off regarding the rampaging pests!!!! I got 7 out the greenhouse this lunchtime, following a pitched battle ending in copious amounts of slug pellets!!!! (and the bu**ers have scoffed my last tomatillo just before dying in a pool of slime!!!!!) [​IMG] I am due to have the garden re-built in a few weeks, but once the work is done, I am going to try nematodes, as my dog saw the pellets and thought "Yummy!!!"

3. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    He could have died before they were eaten!!!!Luckily I dont have pets and we never get any squirrels. I am trying to only put pellets down about 1 every foot but when i see the damage i go a bit AWOL! have never tried the nemotodes but i was lead to beleive that method was quite expensive - let us know how you think it goes if it works!

4. acra24

acra24 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if slugs or snails that die from slug pellets are poisonous to birds? I don't like to think of the local birds all nosediving into the garden after 'a feast of snails'!

Thanks

5. The Pea Of Sweetness

The Pea Of Sweetness Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a slug detterent from B&Q yesterday, apparently they are friendly to animals and birds. I have a Yorkie (not the chocolate bar...hehe ;) 0 and believe me my dog is into everything!! she hasn't even noticed they have been put down.

FYI its called 'Growing Success Slug Killer'

pretty cheap actually, bout �£3.50 for 500g

Hope this help matey.

P.s you could always go for the 'lager' option if they are proving to be a pain in the bum!!

:D

6. Flora Poste

Flora Poste Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My own experience with the nematodes is that although they are a bit pricy they normally work pretty well - you can have a conflict with the adult and juvenile slugs as I believe the nematodes tend to target the infants - so you may have to use them in conjunction with something else for the first season?