Slugs-nothing works!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by hakakahn, Jun 20, 2008.

1. hakakahn

hakakahn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a massive slug problem in my garden of pots, (it is only a yard, no grass). I have brought a lot of my plants inside as the slugs won't leave them alone (I've given up trying things now, tried everything).*

I've tried every suggestion, egg shells, copper tape, *garlic, onion, bran flakes, salt, sand, gravel, fir tree needles, coffee grounds, beer traps, vaseline, sand, gravel, Westlands slug Blocker (http://www.gardenhealth.com/product/42/81).

None work and my plants are just dying! I recently bought a delphinium and I have had to bring that in after the rain yesterday as it had just started growing back again after the last attack....

I'm guessing there's only slug pellets left to try now, of course I will get the pellets that don't hurt cats etc as my cat died that way and they also effect the fertility of songbirds.

Is there anything that ACTUALLY works? I'm desperate!!!!!

2. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Are you lifting the pots regularly and checking for any underneath. I do nightime vigils when it's wet and actually bag the little beggars and chuck them. I don't think that the standard pelets can be guarenteed to be totally safe however if you use them use a tiny amount (one or two around each pot) and collect any casualties the following morning so nothing eats them.

3. Layla 2

Layla 2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There just does not seem to be an answer to this problem,a Comos I planted
    was almost eaten away overnight,I put gravel round it,but they even got over that!!:mad:

4. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,865
    Yep, slug pellets [that don't hurt pets]! But then you're about to try those ;)

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I have found Slug Pellets and me going round every night the only way to get rid of them.We have two cats and have had no problem with them being poisoned.I know that years ago the cats could die from eating those bran type ones.:eek:

I even have a hedgehog visiting my garden each night and he isn't interested in them,I think it is the slime.I just collect up the live ones and put them in my grey recycling bin.I have tried throwing them over the fence onto the spare ground at the side of us but the snails just come back with broken shells.:rolleyes::eek:

Two places they like in my garden is down the side of the piping that comes from the Meter boxes and also on the garage wall behind my winter flowering clematis.:(

6. hakakahn

Ratings:
    +0
    I just didn't want to kill slugs really, but I guess nothing else works....any brand you would reccomend?

Do you still have to remove them as well?!

7. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Slugs just have to go I am afraid - it is war - them! or your plants. Afetr putting down pellets - which I only do once or twice a year, I remove any dead ones I find (though this is mostly snails) as I don't like the thought of any wildlife (or my puppy) eating them as they have been poisoned. I pick them up with a plastic bag on my hand - chuck in another plastic bag then in the wheelie bin - same with the live ones.

8. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We had TONS of slugs when we first moved in. To be honest, I think that the compost heap we put in has been the best thing for controlling them - I think the slugs must reason why bother crawling for hours to a plant, when there is plenty of fresh(!) fruit and veg just sitting there waiting for you! It definitely seems to have made a difference to us!

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    This year I've been using 'Growing Success' organic pellets. They contain ferrous phosphates which are not poisonous to animals and birds. The only disadvantage I have found is that being cereal based they sometimes disappear rather quickly- I suspect mice and pigeons. They are waterproof and I don't find horrid fizzy corpses like Metaldehyde pellets leave. I live in Warminster, which I firmly believe to be Slug City UK, and these pellets have proved really useful.
    Also have you tried the copper containing mats now available- these might help as you have containers.

http://www.theonlinegardener.com/product.asp?prod=1007848&np=c

:)

10. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Slug problme not as bad as last year and I have used these slug pellet thingys from Frosts garden centres and it says on there that they do not harm birds and pets.

They still seem to somehow get in the green house and I'm having to check underneath the pots.

I know they love Hostas and I have planted a nice selection of mine in a very large pot and so far (fingers crossed) theny havenot managed to make their way into the pot.

11. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hakakahn, Have you looked in the compost of your pots, the little Bug**** hide in there, come out at night and turn your plants into lace curtains, so it wouldn,t matter if there indoor or out :( When i buy plants I check the underside of the pot there in, and 9 out of 10 times there,s little slugs hiding there,:mad: I use pellets, because nothing else works:rolleyes: Try putting 2 or 3 pellets in your pots, just on top of the compost,:thumb:
    Let us know what happens..Dee..

12. hakakahn

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I tried the copper tape which didn't work. Will try either the pellets or the mats next.
    Thanks so much guys!!

As to there being slugs in the pots, I had wondered why there was the odd slug in the house, grrr! Will put pellets on the top of pots.

13. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sadly, I think the only thing that works is pellets. I have out down pellets once this year and regularly do a trawl and pick and and remove slugs and snails. That seems to mean it takes longer till I have to put down pellets again.

14. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to endorse the reply from Liz, this is my first year with little or no damage caused by slugs thanks to Growing Success. I never did use the metaldahyde pellets so I can't make a comparison but I am very pleased with the results this year. If you only have a yard it should be fairly easy to get on top of the problem and certainly as elliegreenwellie says, lift the pots and look underneath, keep at it and good luck

15. hakakahn

Ratings:
    +0