Slugs & Snails

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by becca, Jun 13, 2005.

1. becca

becca Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Nearly everything in my garden is being thoroughly devoured by the army of slugs and snails which seem like they have invaded en masse. I think it is because all of the surrounding houses have cats and they are keeping the birds away. I'm loath to use pellets as i had wanted to keep the garden organic but they are eating everything (My Salvias have been stripped to the ground, all 20 of them!). Does anyone have any ideas about 1. Getting rid of the slugs 2. Keeping the cats out and 3. Bringing the birds back!

2. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the slugs and snails are easy to deal with - you can buy copper strips to go around your pots and plants
    here's a link for that
    http://www.slugrings.co.uk/

as for the cats, i have the same problem and there is a variety of treatments available to deter them, ranging from ultrasonic deterrants, through water squirters all the way to pelleted lion poo called Roar! and my own favourite: the 12 bore shotgun left me by my thoughtful grandfather!

Once the cats are gone, the birds will return, but you can encourage their early return by putting out seed feeders and water. If you want finches then buy a niger seed feeder and they will love it - i have 3 goldfinches in my garden as a result of such treats for them!

Good luck - let us know how you get on

[​IMG]

[ 13. June 2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: lynne ]

3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. GardenGerald

GardenGerald Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello becca.
    You could try a liquid slug remedy, these are much safer than pellets. Garlic water and Rhubarb water are two organic suggestions.
    Cats dislike citrus peel and the mains operated cat scarers work well but not the battery one that soon lose power.
    A suitable post with a dustbin lid attached to the top, green plastic, and a bird feeder on top of that makes life hard for cats and squirrels.
    Some mirrors from the local charity shop sited on the cat approach roads could also work with two reflective glowing eyes glued to them.
    Do persevere and you will win through.
    Best wishes,
    Gerald.

5. princessazlea

princessazlea Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi becca
    To keep slugs away. Use dry egg shells, they cut their bellys apart. Hope this helps!

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Ever heard of nematodes? I use them with good effect having been given the info on this site. Try www.defenders.co.uk

[ 13. June 2005, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

7. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use copper tape and beer traps.

8. lizzie

lizzie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hannah what voltage is the copper matting ;)