Slugs, YUK!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ohbe, Apr 1, 2006.

1. ohbe

ohbe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken over a rather derelict garden & am making great inroads in clearing it. I purchased 2 composters which are filling up rapidly, howver, despite there being no apparent problem in the garden the composters now have hundreds of slugs squatting in there. whats the best way to eradicate them?
    cheers

2. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    pick them up and chuck over the fence...dont work, they just keep coming back, or so it seems.
    apart from collecting them and putting in a bucket of water, or using slug pellets, or putting lots of salt down.
    as much as we all want to be as safe for the environment as we can, use what ever method is best for your garden, you can get environmentaly freindly slug pellets, in as much as they are harmless to other animals etc..but you do use twice as many of them to do the job..
    I still stick to the old fasioned slug pellets.
    I put some old slate down in different places, and check under them each morning, disposing of the little ''things'' in whatever way the mood takes me

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Why eradicate things which while they look nasty are actually doing you a favour? The majority of slugs eat decaying plant matter (or in actual fact the fungus which lives on decaying plant matter) or each other. Those slugs on your compost heap are actually helping turn it into the rather nice material you want to put in your soil. Now snails, they are the green plant eaters!
    Only really troublesome slugs are the ones you DON'T see, the tiny keeled slugs which eat their way through potatoes and live mostly in the soil.

4. Worm Breeder

Worm Breeder Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Make yourself a couple of small wooden homes for hedgehogs to live in ,put them in a nice quiet corner, and let them eat the slugs naturally.
    www.michaellock.forumup.co.uk