Small firethorns

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dave_In_His_Garden, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I put some firethorns in in summer last year, to create some hedging. I put them in the front garden but I wanted them as freestanding rather than training against a wall. However, they really haven't done very much where they are and they have yet to get over about 6-8inches in height :(

What does everyone think? I have a new space along some fencing I've been putting in, so I'm tempted to try them there instead. Or should I just have a bit more patience!?! ;)

Cheers,

Dave

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    They should have grown a bit more than that.

3. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree - I'm wondering if they just don't like it at the front. It's not that exposed, but it's a lot more open than the back garden...

Here's a picture of them - I've had to circle them in red because they're too small to see otherwise against the mulch!!

[​IMG]

[ 20. March 2006, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Dave_In_His_Garden ]

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Three years ago I planted red and orange berried varieties.
    This is the red one...5ft.
    [​IMG]
    And the orange one..1ft :confused:
    [​IMG]
    Same conditions,same feed/watering...!

5. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm - I do notice that you're training yours a little though, Paladin.. some of the stuff I read tells me that they must be trained, others say they can be free standing..

It is strange how one has grown and the other hasn't .. and there's me thinking they were quite simple to grow!! ;)

6. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    they should have grown more than that. have you put the bark/wood chippings direct onto the soil?
    if so then it could be that the chippings are drawing the nitrogen out of the soil and they have not got a lot of goodness.
    try clearing a foot around the plants and hoe in some fish, blood & bone mix, this should help them get there roots going

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Did you water them last summer Dave, they could have had trouble getting their roots going, especially if they were a bit potbound.
    I agree give them a feed and water now and again if its really dry this summer.

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Training shouldn't matter - I've seen plenty of hedges, and they were the orange sort - so the comparison in the photos above isn't always the case! ;)

9. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They were perhaps a little small to be out there on their own but may well take off after flowering this year (they respond well to lots of food & water) It would be worth training the strongest shoot up a cane to get some height & then topping out when the required height is reached. They will still bush out. [​IMG]

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Don't you have to trim the leader to avoid apical dominance, Tortuosa?? I've never had to do this with a new pyracantha, but isn't that the general theory to encourage bushing out? I knnow it works with most plants. :rolleyes:

11. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have found that this helps to generate a stronger Pyracantha plant, giving it a head start. On topping out, the numerous side shoots take over to give the bushy effect. As the side shoots get trimmed, the side side shoots :rolleyes: grow to tangle & lock together giving a dense bush / hedge. After 100 years, a dashing young prince comes along, prunes his way through to the enchanted castle, finds the sleeping princess and.. well you know the rest. [​IMG]

12. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

The mulch is on top of a porous weed sheet so it's not directly on the soil. I will certainly put canes up and try to train the strongest shoot - I would like them to bush out where they are, but now would be the time to move them if I was going to do so, as I have a whole load of new hedging plants arriving soon :D

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    How about putting it up against a wall or fence, then, Dave, if you've got something you think will doi the current job better? :D After all, those two porr plants don't seem to like it there!

14. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    I know - I have a whole load of berberis julienne coming this week - would be a good time for a move around! ;)