Small Horse Chestnut Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Oli, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Oli

Oli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My son has grown a Horse Chestnut tree from scratch at school and now that it is starting to look more like a tree he has been given it to bring home. We are unable to plant it in our garden and I have asked around people I know and nobody seems to want it. It seems a shame and looks very healthy - If anyone would like it please let me know and you would be very welcome to come and pick it up and take it away - I live in Leicestershire so you would need to live fairly local. Let me know.

Oli

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    One idea.

This conker is around 15 yrs old and although not usually a suitable subject for a bonsai I think it looks ok kept small in a tub [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Had any conkers yet Steve? Should be getting some after 15yrs. [​IMG]

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The council won't let me pick em in case I fall out of it :D

5. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Talking of the council. why not try the local countryside rangers, Im sure they will know of a community project or something.

6. Oli

Oli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your ideas guys - I like Steve's actually - if we can keep it that small it doesn't look too bad infact has nice leaves - and who knows one day it might be just what someones looking for. I think I'll just keep potting it up for now.

Thanks again
    Oli

7. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You will need to trim the top growth now and again to keep it at the shape you require and about once a year tip it out of the pot ...trim about a quarter of the roots from the bottom ...put some fresh compost in the bottom of the pot and put it back in the same size pot

Basic bonsai [​IMG]