Small Roots on Tomato Plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fred Clarke, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke Life's too short for unnamed tomatoes.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have been growing tomatoes for 50 years. These days, I raise my tomatoes in Quadgrow units inside and outside my greenhouse. I have been well-impressed with the Quadgrow's since I bought them.

This year though, has been an abysmal crop-wise but I think I have found the reason why.

Yesterday, I removed plants and noticed the small roots, perhaps only 9-10 inches long. This is very unusual as in the Quadgrow's, they have usually been 2-3 feet long, having grown into the reserve water container. No wonder my crop was so poor.

There was no evidence of the roots having been eaten or disease and despite my searching the internet, I have not found a logical explanation. Can anyone here suggest anything?

My toms were grown in homemade compost made from bought multi-purpose, some bark chippings, grit and garden compost with a good dusting of blood, fish and bone meal. I have used this combo for many years without problem. I then feed with a propriety tomato feed and seaweed liquid. I look forward to your comments. Thanks.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,690
    I had issues last year with tomatoes in containers, I believe it was the peat free compost I used. This year I've gone back to growing in the soil and had a great crop.

I had an octo grow setup a few years ago but gave up on it after problems with salt build ups. I had to keep flushing it.

Do your plants look stunted, yellow? A photo would help.

3. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,690
    What is the idea behind adding bark chippings? Surely they take up valuable space in your pots?

4. Fred Clarke

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks for your response.

Sorry about no photos as I decided, not to compost the plants (thinking of diseases) and let the council deal with them.

I like to try new varieties each year so there were 26 plants of about a dozen different types. They all seemed to be smaller plants than I'm used to. Difficult to explain but they just lacked vigour . They got to about 6' high but I noticed there was lots of space between trusses - some plants only had perhaps three trusses. Someone suggested that peat-free compost was the reason but that would account for only 50% of the bulk of my potting soil. Initially I put it down to my area (Rutland) not having a summer this year but we're well used to that in the UK and this crop must be my worst in 50 years. I'm just hoping there's a guru out there with the solution.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  5. Fred Clarke

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68
    It was something I saw on TV (perhaps Gardeners World) about the drainage problems with the new peat-free composts. The suggestion was for either bark chips to be used in the bottom of pots (instead of crocks) or a small amount incorporated into the compost to aid drainage. I went for incorporation because Quadgrow pots need a wick into the reserve of water.

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,690
    It sounds like the issue I had with salts build up, do you regularly flush the quad grows?

7. Fred Clarke

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks John. I'm going to give that some thought but it's not that easy because plants in excess of 16 (I have four Quadgrows) go into big pots of the same compost and all suffered just the same.

You got me thinking though and I realised that I had given some wrong info. I said that I have been using the same compost recipe 'for many years' which is not quite correct. I think I introduced the bark only last year having seen or heard the article on poor drainage with the peat-free stuff. Can't remember any problems last year though.

To answer your original question. I clean out my Quadgrow reservoirs before putting new plants in. Sorry but I have my doubts about the salt build-up.

It does make me wonder though about there being anything more in bark chips other than bark chips?

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    I wonder if the bark chips are robbing the nitrogen, although it doesn't sound like a nitrogen deficiency, maybe a phosphate deficiency.

I've always veered away from using own compost for anything other than soil improvement as you just dont have a clue what the NKP is.

There seems to be a fair amount of tomato problems these days I just wonder what they are using to make all this peat free stuff and if it is harbouring any diseases.
    Tomatoes are easy plants to grow but do seem to fall foul of the slightest diseases there are going.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fred Clarke

Retired
      Ratings:
      +68
      Thanks Peter. I'm thinking along the same lines as you but there was no evidence of N. shortage and I always feed with high potash feed, supplemented with seaweed feed. I will also give a high N. feed should plants look like they need it.

I am concerned though having just found this on the RHA site.
      • Some commercial wood chips have been treated, and may not be quite as eco-friendly as you imagine. Know your source, and try to choose sustainable options.
      'Treated' with what I wonder? Of course we have no idea of the source, when shop-bought. I'm rethinking about that bark addition 'brainwave'. Perhaps not such a good idea. Thinking peat-free with something to open it up for drainage?

• Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,679
        I bought a bag of partially rotted bark, I think its called "bark fines", it is finer than normal bark and I think a better additive than normal bark intended for mulching.

I think just some sharp sand or grit would open up the peat free.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
          Ratings:
          +1,899
          Some barks have a 'growth inhibitor'. I read somewhere it's added to composted bark chips to suppress weed growth. Not saying all barks are treated that way. I swear by adding perlite and/or coarse sand to my compost mixes

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Fred Clarke

Retired
            Ratings:
            +68
            flounder. Thank you. I wish I had read that too. I'll look on the internet and post anything I can find for the better-knowledge of everyone here. I was suspecting as much and used as a mulch, it makes sense in a cock-eyed way.

• JWK

Ratings:
            +48,690
            Re the salt build up problem. With my octo grow it developed an oily layer on the water, searching this site you'll find photos of others where you can actually see salt formation. This is an issue with all closed circuit hydroponic based systems. Flushing just means emptying the reservoirs and running clean water through (preferably rain water).

• Fred Clarke

Retired
            Ratings:
            +68
            Thank you John. I had noticed an oily film but I have had that every year since buying the Quadgrows, so about 8 years. I have previously dealt with it with a couple of drops of Fairy Liquid but in future I'll try your flushing option. Thanks for that.

Being a relative newby to this site, can I ask your advice about another matter. It's still tomato connected. To your knowledge, are there any No. No's on this site regarding posts? For example, can I offer to swop tomato varieties or offer to buy varieties that I would like to try? I can't find any rules against doing that but don't want to upset the person/ people who police such things. Any advice would be welcome. Many thanks.

• Like Like x 1
            • Fred Clarke

Retired
              Ratings:
              +68
              I seem to have answered my own question about seed swops John, having found a few posts (from you) in previous years.

I also noticed your comment about being OCD about tommies. Rest easy because you're not at all OCD about it. It annoys the hell out of me when I've given plants away and when asked for updates on the plant health/ taste/ productivity the recipients cannot quote what varieties they were given it makes my teeth clench. I think most people just throw the label over their shoulder when planting. So, don't feel bad - for an enthusiast, its completely 'NORMAL'

I will post some varieties I have and look for some swops.

• Like Like x 2