Small Shady Pond - Plant Suggestions

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by PetalPushingNovice, Jun 22, 2024.

1. PetalPushingNovice

PetalPushingNovice Gardener

Ratings:
    +90
    I have a very small pond which I popped in to try and encourage wildlife and frogs. It's in shade for most of the day and looking for suggestions of plants/water weeds to keep water clear of algae? I'm not looking for anything fancy or even flowering at all.

2. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,016
    Sounds lovely @PetalPushingNovice :)

I have similar tiny pond which is very popular amongst birds, and after I put it in we also got a resident hedgehog. No frogs sadly as mine has a solar powered little fountain.

Frogbits are lovely plants if you can avoid disturbing the bottom layer of the pond during winter.

Hydrocharis morsus-ranae (Pack of 5) - Water Garden Plants

A bunch of oxygenating plant you just chuck in is also a good idea.

Mini bulrush is lovely. I killed mine the first winter- keeping a good balance in a tiny pond is not easy. :sad:

Is the shade cast by anything with deciduous foliage? If yes, you will also have to invest in a small net (Poundland kid's variety should do the job) and spend delightful autumn hours fishing out the leaves and not fishing out the Frogbit nods. :biggrin:

Some photos would be great!

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I have a couple of 300 litre eurocrates which I planted up and put some fish it. Birds and wildlife love it but it's a bit of a jump for the frogs !

I have Zantadeschia, Iris, skunk cabbage, Horsetail and some spearwort :)

20240622_120118.jpg

20240602_165641.jpg

20240602_165659.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,966
      @PetalPushingNovice I also have a very small pond, one of those preformed ones sitting in an area that gets dappled shade most of the day. I only put it in a couple of months ago.
      I bought a packet of watercress from the supermarket and put a couple of sprigs in. It has grown and is now flowering.
      I've seen birds drinking from the pond, and I think the foxes do too because the stones I put around the edge keep getting knocked in. There are always hoverflies around it, and lots of smaller flies too.
      Hoping for frogs/toads/newts in the future. I've got lots of good cover and a big log pile right beside it.

• Like Like x 2