Small tree/shrub suggestion needed please.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by lisamj, May 24, 2005.

1. lisamj

lisamj Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a small patch in my front garden thats of no particular use, appx. 6' x 4' next to the front of the house. I usually just put some bedding plants in each year, but this year I am creating a log roll circle about 2' in diameter, and plan to put a small tree or shrub thats easily manageable in the middle. I'll put some bedding plants outside the circle.

I'm thinking of something about 4'/5' high, which only has foliage/flowers at the top part (so a bare stem/trunk for the first 3' or so, and then a ball or round mass of foliage/flowers for the last foot or so.

Preferably evergreen, and something that doesn't go rampant. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I thought about a bay tree, but didn't know how manageable they were. I also have to consider something thats roots don't spread too far as it will be very near the house.

Thanks in advance!

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Hi, A Baytree should be good, very slow growing, mine gets by fine with not allot [​IMG] Maybe a Small magnolia :confused: or you can buy allot of dwarf kinds of fruit trees that do fruit if fed & watered regularly. [​IMG] You will have blossom in the spring then :D I know you are looking for some height but A pretty shrub that will flower all summer is potentilla but it is low growing about 2' with a spread of 3' [​IMG] Good luck :D

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    As a but if whacky idea, how about lavender grown as a standard. It appeared in my local nursery (Hitcote)for the first time this year, and I couldn't resist.

4. The Skiver

The Skiver Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about bay trees being slow growing, mine seems to grow at a rate of knots.

How about a pieris, or maybe a dwarf fruit tree?

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of shrubs can be grown as standards - Photinia looks good, Ceanothus, etc, but whatever you choose in this form will need regular pruning to keep it in shape as it ain't the natural way for them to grow.

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You are of course quite right Bayleaf, the thing that appealed to me with the lavender was that it utilised its tendancy to become woody if not cut back hard after flowering. Could produce some interesting shapes, and as an added bonus my elderly mother can squish the leaves for the scent without bending and toppling :)

7. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    A BAY tree...when I left Cambrige last year I left a Bay tree the height of the house..and I had grown it from a cutting! 30 years ago mind.