Smooth Crabgrass - aaaagh !!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by ericcartman666, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ericcartman666

ericcartman666 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm new on here and really hope someone can help me.

My beautiful lawn has become infested with smooth crabgrass and I cannot find any treatments in the UK !

There are lots in the USA but they're full of illegal compounds which we are not allowed to use.

I've read that keeping the grass a little taller might help but not so far !

Does anyone please know what the bext treatment is and, more importantly, where to get it ?

Any advice, tips or shopping links would be most appreciated.

Thanks.:mad:

2. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    How infested? Everywhere or just plants popping up in various places?

If it's everywhere then rake the affected areas with a spring tine rake prior to mowing to make the crabgrass stand proud of the rest of the lawn. If you do this every time you cut you'll weaken the crabgrass to the point it dies off. It can be a war of attrition though. Dispose of the cuttings properly to ensure all the seeds are rid of, aerate your lawn then give your mower a good clean to get all the seeds from it.

If it's just a few plants showing then dig them up and dispose of them as and when necessary. Over seed and aerate any bare patches that are left. If you dig out any plants as soon as you spot them you'll eventually be crabgrass free.

With both methods put your mower on a higher setting for at least a couple of months afterwards.

I've used both methods in the past few years and have never had a re-emergence. Be thorough though, crabgrass is a pain.