Smooth Newt ????

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Fran, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I was shifting some pots on the patio and came across this creature. prolly about 2- 2.5 inches long. It ain't the same as my picture of a smooth newt - but that is what I presume it is, as there is nothing else similar in my book. Can anyone confirm

[​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    can'timagine what else it could be!! but bigger than I'd have expected

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Fran , the easy way to tell if it's a palmate newt is it's hind feet are webbed and it's tail filament protrudes slightly. The brownish colour gives the appearannce of a smooth newt (female) as opposed to the blackish colour of the crested, the crested has a warty, rough skin, as you may know crested newts are protected and untouchable (unless one has a licence) but this looks like a female smooth newt.
    [​IMG]

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    that one doesn't look like it has webbed hind feet, does it? I'm amazed it stayed there to be photographed! :rolleyes:

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    It didn't - this was just a short pause as it scuttled for cover. Thanks for the input - I will assume that it is a smooth newt - first time I've seen such a species in my garden. My neighbour has a pond - and that may be where it came from. I understand from my book that non breeding newts tend to waunder away from water.

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    True Fran, they only return when sexually mature, which may be around three/four years and like frogs have slight variations in colour. [​IMG]

8. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    my son used to bring me presents like him when he was younger.i went into the bathroom one morning to find a plank of wood over the sink.when i lifted it two frogs said hello and i nearly swallowed my toothbrush. :eek:

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I'm amazed that you managed to get your camera so quickly. Lovely picture!
    I've not seen a newt in the wild since I was a child. :(

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Liz - I too had not seen one since I was a child and it was nothing like I remembed - mind I think my child hood ones were crested newts.

Fortunately he/she froze for just long enough for me to get my camera - but I did move quickly <gg>

11. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I consider myself very lucky with the inhabitants of my garden, every time I do any pottering I come across frogs newts and toads, lthough I do have to be a bit careful where I put my fork.

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Apart from my oriental fire belied toads indoors there are no ponds around here so no amphibians, work is different, frogs [​IMG] and newts in the pond(8 foot allotment tank) and slow worms which come in to the poly tunnel to breed so we have to be careful where we put the pots and trays!

13. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Fran

Just seen this post, and having 2 experts on British Reptiles in the house, I consulted the older one (10 year old son). Confirmed my suspicions. This looks very much like a sand lizard, and not a newt at all!!!! If it is, this is very, very exciting, as these are very rare and extremely protected - also you live in Bedfordshire? Not supposed to have them there!!!
    Do you live near heathland?
    lizard page

Because of the stripe down its back, it looks very much like the lizards in the pictures - just scroll down.....
    ooooohhhhh how exciting!!!!! (sorry, my anorack is taking over here!!!!) It may be worthwhile contacting English Nature - they will confirm what exactly it is, but lizard of any kind is protected by law and its nest must not be disturbed in any way!!!!
    Hope this helps - and let me know !!!!

14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Good gracious, a sand lizard, well that would account for the lack of webbed feet [​IMG] .

Interestingly - whilst my garden is clay not so very far up the hill, the soil turns to sand - I live close to green sand ridge - maybe it strayed in from there.

I wouldn't dream of disturbing a nest - lizards and amphibians eat the kind of things I like to lose :D - but not sure what one would look like, and as my garden is supposed to be wild life friendly I wouldn't even know where to look for one even if I knew what it looked like.

Do you really think that English Nature would be interest, cos if so, I'll contact them.

15. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Fran

If it is a sand lizard, they would DEFINITELY be interested, as they are so rare. Even if it is a common lizard, they are not very common at all and are protected species, so any siting would be helpful to them. As you live adjacent to a sandy place, it could well have wandered in from there. If you can confirm it came from there, it can be registered as an SSI place - an area of Special Scientific Interest - and restrictions will be put in place .......

We go every year to the New Forest Reptile Centre for my boys to get their annual "Lizard Fix" and our native ones really are that small!! We have found a couple in the wild whilst walking in the new forest too, so they are around.... [​IMG]