Snapdragons and Verbena - what to do now

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Pink678, Jul 15, 2024.

1. Pink678

Pink678 Gardener

Ratings:
    +56
    I bought some trays of flowering snapdragons and verbena (the kind with tiny flowers in purple, white, pink etc). They were very cheap (£2 for 6 plants, so I got 6 of each) and I got them on impulse.
    I planted them in the flowerbed and they finished flowering very quickly.
    I was just wondering what to do with them now, if I want them to carry on flowering? Should I be deadheading, or maybe it's time to get rid of the verbena at least as it's not looking too good ...
    On the snapdragons webpages I looked up, it said they carry on flowering into autumn but mine look like they are forming seeds?
    I don't mind getting rid of all of them if it's time for that, and make room for something else.
    Any suggestions much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Debs64

Debs64 Gardener

Ratings:
    +311
    If you deadhead them they will give more flowers. I usually leave the last set of flowers on snapdragons to set seed but that won’t be until the end of august at the earliest

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Pink678

Pink678 Gardener

Ratings:
      +56
      Thank you Debs64 - i love your tortoise!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,751
      Those are so small I think I'd have chopped the flower stems off when planting to give them a chance to get a bit bigger. Now though, deadhead them, water if needed to keep the soil moist (the roots won't be very deep) and they should flower again.
      I've marked up a couple of your pics with where I would chop them. Other people may use more finesse!
      snapdragon deadhead.JPG verbena deadhead.JPG

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
      • Pink678

Pink678 Gardener

Ratings:
        +56
        Ah that's so helpful JennyJB, thanks ever so much! I'm going to go out and do it now.