Snapdragons

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by terrier, Jan 6, 2008.

1. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I've always thought of snapdragons as annuals but I've still got pots of them still in flower in the garden, also they are still producing new growth. If I cut down the old growth what are the chances of over wintering them? Could I take cuttings from the new growth? Is this a totally daft idea?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,630
    Hi Terrier Well in some cases they can be Kept
    It depends a lot on the climate ,they wo,nt stand a hard frost,They have no natural Dormant state as far as I know,But I would give them a lttle trim and try It ,They do self seed anyway but they probably wo,nt be true as their Parent Blooms
    The only Idea I follow in the Garden is Enjoy it. Anything is Possible:)

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Terrier. According to my book, although all the Snapdragons that we buy are cultivars, they are all based on Antirrhinum majus, which is a short lived, tender perennial.

Certainly mine often come back, and Yorkshire won't be any warmer than you. I have lifted them and overwintered then under glass before.

I am sure that you can take cuttings, but I am not sure that now would be a good time. You need the mother plant to be in reasonable growth, and you need to provide heat and light.