Snapped tree peony

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Madahhlia, May 12, 2012.

1. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    My tree peony has had a branch snapped off in the wind last night. (Well, it was supporting three giant purple cabbages.)

It has got a bit lanky - 2 or 3 tall (4.5') woody stems which are now about5 years old, and one new fresh shoot from the base.

It could really do with pruning to make it lower and more bushy, but I read somwhere that they don't like being pruned.

Has anyone any experience of this?

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Tree Peonies do respond quite well to being pruned. Preferably do this in early Spring. I've pruned lanky ones down to about 15 cm above the ground but tend not to do all the stems in 1 go. IE do some and then the next year do the rest. With the branch that has broken (pity) prune that to about 15 cms. I hasten to add I am NOT an expert, I have around 10 Tree Peonies which have been growing here for about 10 years and what I've done to them seems to work for me, however others may have better advice.

• Like Like x 1