Snow Rose advise

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Gardensnoop, Jun 29, 2024.

1. Gardensnoop

Gardensnoop Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, a newbie question, I believe the picture I’ve sent is a Snow Rose with some flowers on it. Can someone advise whether the flowers need to be dead headed like other roses or some other action I need to take ?.

Attached Files:

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Yes, it’s a Hellebore, you can remove the flower when it fades to tidy up the plant.

3. AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
    +511
    Hi, looks to me like a Hellebore, must admit I have never heard it called a snow rose :smile:.

I cut off the flower stalks, plus any black/manky leaves. It won't flower again until next Spring.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Tinkerton

Tinkerton Gardener

Mostly lolling about nowadays
      Ratings:
      +235
      The pure white form of Hellebore is sometimes called a 'Christmas Rose', but of course, it isn't a rose at all, though it does flower at Christmas!
      I would do as AnniD and Plantminded suggest, cut off the flowers and stalks when it finishes flowering, and take off all the tatty leaves come autumn, winter, or very early spring. Will do it no harm at all.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,438
      Hellebore niger [ which is the one that flowers from early winter onwards] isn't quite the same as the ones which flower after that, so it's more likely to be one of the late winter/spring types. You can deadhead it, unless you want it to seed around, which it will do. I still had some flowers on a few of mine, and they were removed a few days ago :smile:
      Other than that, they don't need much attention if the conditions suit them. I just remove any manky leaves, and you can also remove some when it's flowering, to show the flowers off better.

I love H. niger, but it can be a bit hit and miss here, and I often lose them. They like more moisture than the other ones, but I have to plant them a bit proud of the soil level when they're small/young plants, or they can easily rot away.

• Gardensnoop

Gardensnoop Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Grateful thanks everybody. It never ceases to amaze me what people know all you have to do is reach out. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1